FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Villamos
Hi
I have my Cp's growing on a southeastren window that gets quite a bit of sunlight for all almost all day long (nep, vft and sarrs doing great) but as the winter solstice inevitably makes its way the days get shorter and cloudier here in the land of the magyars. So I'm looking for a supplementary light to keep the vfts and sarrs out of dormancy and keep the others going.
I want a bulb that fits in an ikea desk lamp so that's a max of 40 watts, my budget is tight and the selection here is even more limited.
I stumbled upon these exo terra lights, which are used for reptile terrariums and such, are more towards the red part of the spectrum, like this: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/da ... g_spot.php
So what do you guys think? will it work as a supplementary light? is it even worth it as most of the light is infrared?
Btw superficial google searches have turned out that of the same plants grown under only red, only blue and only green exclusively, the one under the red had the largest leaves.
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. I thought I’d mentio[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Hey all, a couple of pitchers came up with corkscr[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Since I’m sending a SASE anyway…

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I'm just dipping my toes into the world of nepenth[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I have two little pots (the ones they came from L[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!