FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By in2kermit
I've searched the forum, but haven't found an answer to my question. My dh got me this vft from Lowe's about 3 days ago. After reading another topic, I know that it's dormant; the leaves are blackening and the traps refuse to close. My question is, should I transplant it to a thicker pot, so it can withstand being in the garage?

I don't want it to die, and I have no clue how cold it will get in the garage this winter. Any help is appreciated!
By sbrooks
Blackening leaves and traps that don't close can also be signs of a plant that was left in bad conditions (low light level, rotting from lack of proper drainage/airflow) for a length of time. That being said, assuming that you are in the States, dormancy time is certainly approaching. I would probably wait until spring to repot; it would certainly take longer to recover from transplant under weak conditions; unless you could leave the present soil mass intact for the most part, while placing it in a larger container. If your garage conditions are such that freezing temps is a concern, then re-potting is probably the best option, regardless of whether you disturb the roots or not.
You could also place the whole pot in something more insulating (stryrofoam cup lined with some sort of sphagnum, or other filler/insulating material, for instance, to fill in the gaps between the container and styrofoam) if freezing is a concern.

should be fine, springtails make their way into co[…]

I have a Viparspectra v1000 in my grow area, about[…]

Hello from New England

Welcome

Finally!!! Rain!!!!

You should check Craig's List for plastic, food-g[…]

I notice that the tds readings of my tapwater can […]

New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in no[…]

CalCarn Hitchhiker

It's too soon to be able to provide a positive ID.[…]

Fun supermarket

Spam?

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!