FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By jkochuni
So after battling with my Sawtooth cultures they are finally starting to look good. I have three cultures going presently, and all of which have been a battle. I know David Conner also experienced problems with Sawtooths as well. Anyone else battling these as well?

By hackerberry
Hmm, what kinds of issue did you encounter with Sawtooth culture? I haven't tried one but I might soon.

hb
By jkochuni
Extremely slow growing at first, and divisions can be hit or miss on growth.
By goldslinger
I'm having the same issues with a Royal Red. Very slow going after initiation. I've had it on about 2 months now and it's barely coming out of the callus.

I think it interesting that the same species of Plant can have so much variance in growing conditions from cultivar to cultivar.

I wonder what the first thing One would tweak in such an occurrance? Maybe lessen the concentration of the Basal salts to say 1/3 instead of 1/2?

Those Specimens You have there look horrible! You should send them all to Me and just chalk it up to experience. :D
By jkochuni
I wonder why they are so slow growing in culture? :evil: My Sawtooth plants out of culture grow rather quickly, and my Bohemian Garnet cultures seem to grow like mad. :|
By Matt
I'm not entirely sure, but it could be that my cultures are slightly contaminated. I've noticed that if the culture is slow to grow, that generally indicates contamination. It could also be that Sawtooth prefers some other media than what I typically use. My Sawtooth plants also grow very quickly in vivo, so it's definitely not the clone itself.
By Multiclone
Matt wrote:I'm not entirely sure, but it could be that my cultures are slightly contaminated. I've noticed that if the culture is slow to grow, that generally indicates contamination. It could also be that Sawtooth prefers some other media than what I typically use. My Sawtooth plants also grow very quickly in vivo, so it's definitely not the clone itself.
Some bacteria are very hard to see and affect culture growth. One sure method I have found is root growth. If plants usually grow nice roots then stop be careful. Also if you have a suspicion after transfering your plants have a whiff of the container you will definately know if it is contaminated or not. Curling and yellowing of leaves is another sign, toxic gas begins to build in the container faster than be replaced by air transfer.
Geoff

Since they have shallow roots, I just use a plas[…]

Dizzle's Grow List

Added: D. muscipula Kim Jong-il D. muscipula Ki[…]

howdy!

Welcome! Just in case you didn't see 'em: https://[…]

Smartest or bravest spider?

Looks similar to the Texas brown. Possibly a femal[…]

My biggest Sarracenia

Don't you just love how there's always at least on[…]

Red meat viability claims

I agree and disagree with you. The politicians […]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!