FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By MaxVft
The title has it all.This is what I mean by "thunderstorm":
There's hail and everything,and it should be like this all of next week.Their water bowls are soaked,along with the soil.The hail was also so big that it set off one of the *big* traps. I bring them inside,or risk killing them with root rot,or let them embrace the pain?I have them inside at the moment until you guys help me out.
Happy growing
Max
Last edited by MaxVft on Thu May 20, 2021 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Panman
specialkayme wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:44 pm VFTs are native to coastal NC, which gets frequent hurricanes (even with hail). They'll survive just fine.
While this is true, in their native habitat, they are partially sheltered by tall grasses and brush. Also, in nature losing one plant that takes a direct hit from a chunk of ice isn't a problem. Losing one plant from a collection is a more significant problem.

I think you are better off to play it safe and, if possible, provide some sort of protection in the most extreme weather, such as hail. Rain and wind are generally not problems as long as the pots you are using are stable, won't blow over, and you can drain them when the rain is done. I grow my plants outside all year long in Georgia. The only time they get additional protection is from freezing temperatures and very severe weather. Thunderstorms without hail aren't a problem.
By specialkayme
Panman wrote:
specialkayme wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:44 pm Also, in nature losing one plant that takes a direct hit from a chunk of ice isn't a problem.
It is exceedingly unlikely that a chunk of hail would cause the plant to die, unless the ice was softball sized and moving at 200 miles per hour. You're talking hail size large enough, and fast enough, to not only damage leaves, but massively impact root structures. In which case, you probably have bigger problems with damage to your house and car than you do from the loss of a plant in your collection. I know, because I've had my VFT hailed on.

That's not to say you shouldn't protect the VFT from hail if you're concerned about the aesthetics of the plant. But you don't need to do it for the plants sake.
By That one plant boi
I leave my plants outside in all types of weather (save for severe hurricanes). Since I live in Central Florida though, I don't have experience with hail, but I would bring my plants in to prevent them from getting their precious leaves crushed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By MaxVft
Hmm,there are quite a few different opinions on here,thus confusing me.Well what did I expect,this is a forum thread!So to simplify it,I have 3 options:
1:Leave it outside and hope for the best,
2:Leave it outside and cover it with a tarp,OR
3:Just leave the hassle behind and bring it inside.
By Panman
Concisely put, good sir! It all depends on your level of risk tolerance and how industrious (or lazy) you are. :D

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!