FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By slicric78
Greetings and salutations.

I was curious as to whether or not New Zealand moss could be resused after repotting a plant. Does any know the “life expectancy” of the moss, and if dried out after use could still be a beneficial soil medium?

A more specific example: if a flytrap was potted in the moss for 10-12 months, and it came time (after dormancy) for splitting and repotting, would you throw out the old moss, or could it be dried out and reused at a later time? Perhaps mix it in with new moss?

Have a great day and thanks!
Ric
By Rammplins
I reuse mine once, maybe twice. After a repot I will take the old media, soak and rinse it in a strong solution of water and hydrogen peroxide to try and kill all algae, mold, ect., and then dry it outside in the sun on a hot sunny day.

I have noticed though that reused media will break down faster and algae will grow faster once it gets established, so I don't use any reused media in indoor pots due to the lower amount of air flow. But it does work very well for filling the bottom of outdoor pots or if I use just reused media in a pot then I will put a heavy top dressing of silica sand on top to stop algae growth.
Rammplins liked this
By slicric78
[quote="Rammplins"]I reuse mine once, maybe twice. After a repot I will take the old media, soak and rinse it in a strong solution of water and hydrogen peroxide to try and kill all algae, mold, ect., and then dry it outside in the sun on a hot sunny day.

Thank you for the information. May I ask, how much hydrogen peroxide to water ratio do you use?
By Rammplins
No problem.

Eh, I cant really tell you a number, I just eyeball it. About a five second pour into 2 gallons of water, less if there is less water, and let it soak for like 2 hours. You might also want to vigorously disturb the media in the bucket every now and then so debris will sink to the bottom.

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!