FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By OR1ON
I have a typical VFT which is dividing really really fast. It has about maybe 6+ offshoots growing around it.

My question is... Is it better to repot right now before dormancy or wait til spring comes along? Will the shock from repotting affect how they go dormant and maybe kill em?

Here is a picture of the plant...

Thanks for your help!
By Matt
That's a nice looking pot of Typical flytraps Omar!

If you have the time and energy, I vote to never wait to repot Dionaea as long as they're not flowering. Even during dormancy (I repotted a ton of them in December) they seem to not be bothered by a repotting. They just continue to grow almost as if nothing happened.
By Jaws
When i repotted some i bought a few months back, i found it a good month before they were growing properly again.
By OR1ON
Alright thanks! Many typicals will come out of this one. There are about 3 or 4 big ones in there which make up the bigger traps. The rest are the size you see in the bottom. For some reason though, the smaller ones catch more flies!
By x20villan02x
i had the same question becuase almost all of my vfts have off shoots, and the answer i got was wait until they are just coming out of dormancy. this way you are putting the original in new medium, and you can justgently pull the rosettes apart. hope this helps.
Water Quality

I used to have a pool/spa at my house in CA. The m[…]

I'd def keep it. Sometimes plants (in general, not[…]

A 15-hour photoperiod is good, yes.

I too am wondering when to start the transition. I[…]

Watering my Venus Flytrap

OP lives in Poland.

Just let it be. Don't overthink it man. Worst that[…]

Get a magnifying glass 🔍

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!