FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Hectorsgaf
Hi. Hoping I can upload not very good pics but can anybody put my mind at rest. All my other VFTs are ok but recently this RD has been looking strange. One trap still fine but the rest look deformed / restricted even a new one poking through. Is this normal dying off or do I have another problem? Thank you
Attachments:
IMG_0759.JPG
IMG_0759.JPG (3.46 MiB) Viewed 2016 times
IMG_0758.JPG
IMG_0758.JPG (3.23 MiB) Viewed 2016 times
By ChefDean
My initial thoughts are two-fold.
First, minor, it's planted a bit deep. That could be causing a growth issue. Easily rectified in a number of ways.
Second, there's a pest. Typically with the shape those leaves are taking, I'd say aphids. Although I can see a couple aphids on the plant, I don't see the number that I would think would be necessary to do that amount of damage. I also see signs of spider mites, but, again, not in sufficient amount to cause that damage.
Perhaps, all together, it's possible they're all the cause.
I'd start by just scraping away some media to "raise" the plant up a bit, then lightly treat with a miticide at first. Eventually you'll want to repot (that media looks a little rough), but Wait until after treatment is done.
Just my thoughts.
By Panman
Definitely pests, but like ChefDean said, I don't see any actual pests or signs other than the deformed leaves. My guess would be thrips. They do a lot of damage but are hard to see and don't leave behind any other evidence. I would treat one week with Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew and the next week with a miticide. I would do that twice and see how things go.
ChefDean liked this
By ChefDean
Panman wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:46 pmMy guess would be thrips. They do a lot of damage but are hard to see and don't leave behind any other evidence.
I've never had thrips (knock on wood), so I never think of them. Good thought.
By Hectorsgaf
Thanks all. Will take / consider action as suggested. I cannot actually see any pests close up and strangely this plant sits in amongst 10 others none of which are displaying the same problem. Have sprayed any way and isolated this plant from the others for now.
By ChefDean
Hectorsgaf wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:32 am ...strangely this plant sits in amongst 10 others none of which are displaying the same problem.
I have a flytrap that sits by many other plants (VFT's, sundews, Sarracenia), and seems to get spider mites every year. At least, it's the first to show signs of spider mites. It may be more sensitive to them, or weaker than the other VFT's, and simply shows signs faster. At that point I likely have spider mites on a number of plants, but in such small numbers that it's easy to eradicate them, and the uninfested plants get a light preventative application.
Whatever the reason, when that VFT starts to show indications of being hit, I break out the Avid and lightly treat everything for a few weeks, and it knocks them out.

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Thanks all. The only place I didn’t think […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!