FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By JP1313
Hey everyone!!

So I am looking into buying the FTS Crimson Sawtooth! It looks beautiful and fun! I'm pretty exciting, but i've never really owned a venus fly trap before so this will be my first and I am a little confused when it comes to the plant sizes and options. I am not really sure what Young Adult, Young Plant and 5 small plants really means? Basically I am wondering how big are each of them? Also, which would be a good place to start off?
By parker679
It's hard to give a comparison of sizes since they can vary even within the same size group. I've never ordered the 5 small plants but assume that you're probably getting 5 plants that are 1-2 inches across.

The main difference I've noticed between young plant and young adult is in the rhizome size, both are putting out adult or near adult sized traps.

Personally I always order young plants when possible. I'm cheap so I prefer saving the few dollars to spend on other plants. I never order the 5 small plants because of the price. I know the price per plant is better but I usually don't want to spend that much on one type. If young adult is the only thing available than go for it. In my experience if you have good growing conditions you won't see too much difference between young plant and young adult after several months.

Also keep in mind that the sizes are best used to compare within a cultivar/type. A young adult sized 'petite dragon' will always be smaller than a young plant sized 'B52' for example.
parker679 liked this

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!