FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By reptialdenial03
My trap is kept indoors, in a (southwest) facing window. I live in a relatively wooded area, so I have also been providing artificial light.

Is it okay to put it outside periodically to A.) get actual sunlight, and B.) give it the opportunity to catch insects? Or would this occasional change of setting be detrimental to the plant, putting it into shock?

Thanks in advance.
By Leo756
Just my opinion, but I've always thought it's best to leave plants in one location as long as possible so they can become accustomed to one set of environmental conditions. A lot of fluctuations over short periods of time seems like it would be stressful since the plants wouldn't have time to adapt to what's going on around them.
By reptialdenial03
Temperature is 60's, humidity is low, and I keep a fluorescent on while I'm away at work with regard to its indoor conditions. Outdoor conditions currently are similar to indoors, with the exception of the light--I live in a sort of wooded area, so I'd say the trap would be getting sporadic direct sunlight, not consistent. In the summer though, it'd still be cooler indoors, even though there isn't air conditioning in my room, and the humidity would be significantly different as well, I would think.
By Sander
Well its hard to say, but if these parameters do not differ a lot, u could give it a try, but best is to try and have a (or multiple) controle plants as well, so u can actually see the effect, if there is one.
By LeejohnD
I take plants to work and cycle in new ones weekly or bi weekly. My plants are outside, and come in to cfl bulbs for those one or two weeks, and it seems they get a little boost in growth before they go back outside.

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!