FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Max
The only bugs that i can find are the " wood louse, wood lice, sowbug, pillbug, or "rolli poli" type of bug. i fed my first one to a very healthy new trap, and within a week it turned black...
what do you think is the best type of insect to feed a VFT. or does it matter? I think that hard shelled insects are hard to digest for them,
but i dont no.. What bug is the best and how do you catch it? where i live, there is absolutly NO bugs outside, just under rocks..
any help?

-Max
Last edited by Max on Mon May 04, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By NZL
There are no mosquitoes where you live???
You must be in paradise!

But considering you're serious about not having any bugs around your place, you could go to a fishing shop and buy some live bait. Those small worms are excellent food for your VFTs.
Feed them alive ofcourse, for the spectacle, but also because the traps won't start digesting bugs that aren't struggling to escape.
By Budukai
Max wrote:The only bugs that i can find are the " wood louse, wood lice, sowbug, pillbug, or "rolli poli" type of bug. i fed my first one to a very healthy new trap, and within a week it turned black...
what do you think is the best type of insect to feed a VFT. or does it matter? I think that hard shelled insects are hard to digest for them,
but i dont no.. What bug is the best and how do you catch it? where i live, there is absolutly NO bugs outside, just under rocks..
any help?

-Max
Let me tell you, rolly pollies suck eggs. I did the same thing when I got my first trap, wow that was a bad idea. The stinkin bug was too big and the trap couldn't close all the way thus killing the trap, :lol: I even tried chopping it up inside the trap so it could close -_- stupid I know. Have you tried leaving a light on out outside? Bugs just love it :D that should do it for sure, because I really don't believe you are bug free, that would be a miracle.
By Max
I mean that the flys havent come out yet, and nothing in "flying", just bugs under rucks like slugs and stuff. I fed my plant a slug and it was perfectly in the trap. I left my house and when i came back, the slug had crawled out...
By Budukai
Max wrote:I mean that the flys havent come out yet, and nothing in "flying", just bugs under rucks like slugs and stuff. I fed my plant a slug and it was perfectly in the trap. I left my house and when i came back, the slug had crawled out...
What kind of slug was it? Small or really big for the trap you gave it? Normally that would have worked. Maybe a picky trap :D
By Adam
Where do you live? Bugs should be around by this time of year...

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!