FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By David F
I was wondering, is it normal, VFT just coming out of dormancy to have 6 flowers, it is strange because most of the pictures I see of the VFT coming out of dormancy, is bigger leaves coming out, with big heads. The way this plant is, first off, it has six flowers, some a lot smaller than the middle two. and smaller leaves coming and surrounding, which don't have to big of heads.

The plant was moved from 2-2.5 weeks of inadequate light, to one week of weening to better light, plus about 2 hours of sunlight through a window, to just today, full sunlight. The florescent light it was under is 4500k, on most of the day, with sometimes a 4 hour break, sometimes a 6 hour break. and sometimes all day.

Temperatures drop significantly during the night, to about 58-60 degrees, and during the day are up to 70 degrees but never higher, I just recently added a heat pad to the side of the terrarium which raised tempuratures to about 70 most of the time, but still around 64 at night (F') a few times I left a fan on to circulate during the day when I was at school.

Humidity has almost always been around 60%, since the plants weren't doing so well, I would water them about twice a week but now I water them once a week or less (bottom water.)

I accidentally broke one of the small heads off one of the leaves, and I sprayed them with low concentrate, kelp fertizlier (twice in one month.)

I explain all of this because I believe some phenominon led up to this plant, wich when I bought, had no flowers, big leaves and big traps. It appears to be growing differently now, what sometimes happens is when the leaves are growing, they start to turn brown then black. So a head never actually develops, it spreads about half way down the leaf, and then the rest of the leaf, may live for a while, or dry up.

Has anyone experienced this before/know why these plants did this, my prediction is they took quite a bit of abuse, (being moved around and such) and then they received nutrients, so when they "went to seed" they were able to grow more flowers. Thanks for any responce, I'm not saying that 6 flowers is neccesarily a bad thing, but the leaves are kinda messed up.
By victor
I think what your describing is completly normal.
The plants will have a rocky start but eventually
start to produce larger traps and healthier new growth.
By Darkrai283
They should be ok as they're coming out of dormancy and that is perfectly normal for them to do that, in the summer, it should start to produce bigger traps on elongated leaves growing upright unless they're one of the cultivars which produce ground-hugging leaves all year round.

Good Luck!
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!