FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Steve_D
heathenpriest wrote:Just to be contrary
That sounds like a motto. :-)

"Taking the road less traveled," exploring the alternatives, seeing what you can find in places others don't or won't look, etc. :D I've been a rebel and renegade in ways in my life, sometimes contrary just for the sake of being contrary, and that's why I said that I guess, just recognizing the same characteristic in myself. Anyway, great to read your comments, Tim--
By victor
I don't go by a certain motto. I just go with the flow. :D
By vagabundos 91
yeah, u should trim a only dead trap as soon as possible to avoid mold growth. If the leaf base are remain their green or white color and still crisp , i recommend for not cutting the leaf base in case the trap a turn black, as the leaf base still function a bit for photosyntesis , just cut off only dead trap. good luck :)
By cat1560
Matt wrote:
sirre90 wrote:if the traps have turned black do i need to cut just the trap off the trap has turned black and the stem or leaf is still green?
It's not mandatory to immediately trim off dead foliage. I usually let the leaves dry out completely to the point where they come off with a gentle tug. But if it the leaf is completely black, you can trim it off if you'd like :)

And welcome to FlytrapCare :)
hey as mat sad just wait till they are black and very lose i thought i was the only one that did that but am not :o
By victor
Everyone should do it no matter what.
By Eden
heathenpriest wrote:Just to be contrary, I think I'm going to stop trimming my dead leaves and traps. (Nobody's trimming them off in the pine barrens, right?) Besides, I think they add to the generally wicked appearance of the plant. I've left them for a good while before, and haven't had any problems with mold. I've occasionally seen a dead leaf get moldy, but it hasn't spread into the soil, so it wasn't a problem. But then my plants are usually outdoors in the sun and wind, which seems to keep mold to a minimum, and they've also been growing in pure peat moss, which I personally believe also inhibits mold, so it might be more important to trim them if yours are indoors or in a different media.

I just noticed, by the way, that in my soil experiment pots, one of the pure sawdust pots has a clump of mold growing in it. Might be a bad sign, or maybe sawdust just needs to be aged a longer time. (Mine was out in the weather most of last year.)
A note from growing other sorts of plants. Wood products in general promote mold and fungus. It would be a bad idea to add any sort of wood product to such a moist soil.

Since they have shallow roots, I just use a plas[…]

Dizzle's Grow List

Added: D. muscipula Kim Jong-il D. muscipula Ki[…]

howdy!

Welcome! Just in case you didn't see 'em: https://[…]

Smartest or bravest spider?

Looks similar to the Texas brown. Possibly a femal[…]

My biggest Sarracenia

Don't you just love how there's always at least on[…]

Red meat viability claims

[/quote] I agree and disagree with you. The polit[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!