FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By blacktrap
So i have this 6 gallon aquarium tank I got free from work because it was cracked and can't hold water without risk of the crack shattering the glass. It's really nice and I don't want to get rid of it and it have a nice uv light in it. I was wondering if It could be used to make a plant terrarium?

I've kept a frog before but due to a freak escape he ended up dying.
But I still have the fogger and a waterfall from when I had him that might add to the look of a terrarium? I'm not sure it I want carnivores plants or not since I may not be able to get sufficient amounts of flys to feed them. If I'm keeping plants though, i'd like something thats a bit of a challenge but that could grown well in the tank (i don't mind trimming the plants back to keep them a good size for the tank.

Is there any way to set the tank up as kinda like a 'scenery'? I was thinking rain-forest plants might spark my interest a bit. I like 'odd ball plants' If anyones willing to kinda help me out with this I'd be very thankful.
By lozone31
Well carnivorous plant will grow well in a terrarium because it will have a high humidity and if you keep the UV lights on them they will be happy. And to be honest Venus Fly Traps dont need a lot of flys to live usually they get 2-3 a month and they are good. They get most of their energy from photosynthesis.

As far as the scenery things goes, I can't help ya there, I mean I think that Venus Fly Traps and Sundews look pretty good!!
By NZL
Hi blacktrap,

For the setup you want to do, I'd recommend Nepenthes plants, and non-hardy sundews (like pygmy sundews).
They're both carnivorous, and I don't know much about other tropical plants.
By Matt
Feeding carnivorous plants in the terrarium will be the least of your problems. Typically they'll succumb to mold or fungal infections when grown in a terrarium. Also, Venus flytraps (and I think most carnivorous plants) can survive indefinitely without ever catching an insect. They won't be at their best health, but they definitely can be extremely healthy if they just get a lot of good light.

I think Niels gave you a great suggestion with trying out Nepenthes in the terrarium. They don't like their roots to be in standing water, so that means you can keep them a little on the dryer side and possibly mitigate your chances of getting mold or fungus started in the terrarium.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!