FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By jonnyq
Greetings,

I was at Lowes today, and I ran across their display advertising this (among others):

http://www.lowes.com/pd_318847-10155-FH ... Id=3112011

Now, I've been growing solely in pots, and I thought it would be nice to have a mini-greenhouse to at least increase the amount of squirrel-proof land upon which I could grow CP's... However, in looking at this particular design, two things strike me:

1) no ventilation = overheat?

2) no ventilation = no air circulation = promotes fungus growth?

I know that I'm inexperienced in this regard; am I also paranoid, or are these valid concerns? Would leaving the door flap permanently open be a solution or rather the introduction of another problem?
jonnyq liked this
By Matt
For that price, you should consider getting a real greenhouse instead. You can get a nice 6'x8' greenhouse from Harbor Freight for just a bit more (on sale right now for $370):
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-ft-x-8-f ... 47712.html

And Harbor Freight ALWAYS has 20% off coupons that they run. You can find them in almost any Harbor Freight ad. 20% off of that greenhouse would bring the entire price down to just under $300. If you have a Harbor Freight locally, you can pick it up at the store for free. Otherwise you'll have to pay a bit for shipping.
By snapperhead51
Hi I would go with Matt's advice for sure , it would be a much better option and more suited for the CP's you may buy in the future ,,from my experience big enough is never big enough went for 12 x 8 ft to 25m x 5 m and still growing !! and 3.2 ft to a metre to by the way !!ventilation can a be a fan or a water cooler we call a evaporative cooler here in Australia works well
hope that helps a bit
J
By matadorjr
I agree with Matt, i just got the Harbor Freight sales magazine and that greenhouse is much less than what he posted, i think i saw it for $290, with coupon, and its much better resistant than that portable looking one. Always make sure you have some kind of window or drape that can let airflow. I have one but it's much smaller, its a 4 tier greenhouse, just enough for my 7 carnivorous plants to get by.
Darkened leaves

Unfortunately, the existing leaves will not reco[…]

andynorth's Grow/want list

It's been a bit since I have added anything new to[…]

Spagnum moss turning green

Looks like algae, and that is normal.

That’s a really good option to have thank[…]

SASE put in mail!

Seeds is a gray area. This statement was cop[…]

I'm assuming you mean bonus Nepenthes? Order rece[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1660. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!