FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By sekler
Hello all!

I'm leaving for the full week-end and I'm growing darlingtonias from seeds which I check and mist a few times a day. I normally grow them under light for 16h per day and have no timer. My question is, what is better for my seeds, keeping them under light the whole week-end? Or should I place it somewhere warm and let them get no strong light for the week-end?

I grow them in a yogurt pot with no lid nor cover, should I use one?

Thanks guys!
By Veronis
Things you need:
- saran wrap
- scissors
- a toothpick
- a rubber band
- some water (distilled, rain or RO) for the soil
- your mist bottle
- a plastic or glass water tray, 3 to 6 inches wide and about a half-inch or an inch deep (only if there are drainage holes in the container)

1. Mist the seeds, being careful not to disturb them.
2a. If there's breathing room between the seeds and the top of the container, then wrap the saran wrap around the top, and put the rubber band around it to hold it in place, and poke about 20 holes in the saran with the toothpick.
2b. If the soil is all the way at the top of the seed container, then instead poke the 20 holes first, then make a saran "dome" over them instead so you don't touch the seeds with saran - use the toothpick as a vertical support to keep the saran dome up if need be).
3. Trim off any excess saran wrap to keep it out of the water tray.
4a. If there are drainage holes on the bottom of your seed container, put it in the tray and add a half-inch to an inch of water to the tray.
4b. If there are no drainage holes, you're still fine and you can skip this step.
5. Leaving the lights on the whole time is better than leaving them off the whole time if you don't have a timer; but timers do sell for about $6 to $8 at Lowe's or Home Depot. If you leave them on all weekend turn the off for around 10 hours as soon as you get home, then go back to your light routine (even if that means it goes on for four hours until 11pm, then doesn't get turned back on until 7am the next day.

Good luck and have a fun weekend!
Veronis, Veronis liked this
By sekler
I'll try to get a few timers soon but now that we are into the subject, what about plants if they ar receiving artificial lighting like my ceph? Should I just leave the light on as well? I could put it next to my dormant venus on a window sill but I know it won't get as much light as usual.

Thanks!
New to carnivorous plants!

The flytraps should be fine as long as you continu[…]

Very first mini-bog! :D

VFT nice catch

Those crane flies are a pain. Contrary to popular […]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I have left ventrata cuttings outside till the nig[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1672. I'll PM[…]

Hello again from Florida

Welcome

Weird Pitchers, advice?

the black absorbs the full spectrum of light makin[…]

primaflora likes to be almost wet. I keep it in sh[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!