FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By sekler
Hello all !

I was thinking about that today. I know that CPs benefit from a soil change every year or 2 years and that they can be repotted at any time except for more stressful situations (dormancy etc.).

However, in nature, the CPs never get a transplant, are we doing this because most of us use mainly distilled water which still contains a few PPM of minerals ? Let's say that one uses only rain water, how would it affect the plant to leave it in the same soil ?

I'm thinking now that the reason why is that they live in live bogs whereas us we plant them in "dead" soil most of the time ?

have a good one guys !
By Matt
I know I've seen this question asked and answered before, but I can't remember all of the details. The reason that comes to mine is that the soil that most of us use (peat moss) breaks down so less oxygen can reach the roots of the plants and it becomes an anaerobic sludge after a year or two (if it smells like "rotten eggs" when you're repotting, that's due to bacteria I believe). This provides an excellent breeding ground for all sorts of bacteria which can wreak havoc on the root system of a plant.
By Hayden
Im alarmed by your gaviscon advertisement Matt, thats in the corner :P

Matts right, it can become very sodden and also the reproduction of unwanted pests can be a problem too!
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!