FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By matadorjr
When I first bought my first fly trap at a Home Depot, I could't believe that they actually sell them like that and in this part of the region. So bieng a newbee, i replanted it with a soil that had nutrients! After a week that I found out about that would kill it, i used regular soil from my yard! (yeah I know)

I watered it with rain water but also with tap water...(go ahead just shoot me) but it still kept going and growing. But now I;m more educated about these plants and I think it went into dormancy since mild cool weather is approching Chicago. It only had ONE baby mouth left and I thought it was done, dead. So i bought the right soil mix and bought distilled water and try to save it one more time. And now I can see that my hard work and dedication paid off. Although dormancy is on its way, it has 2 more leafs comming out, and im glad to see that.

here's a pic
Attachments:
SAM_0097_redo.jpg
SAM_0097_redo.jpg (76.03 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
By Hayden
Glad to see youve been working hard on recovering, a story that I often tell alot of people is that I water mine with 350ppm tap water for 4-5 months! It looks the same as any other flytrap, just with mineral build up on top of the soil.
By Steve_D
Hayden wrote:I water mine with 350ppm tap water for 4-5 months!
How do you avoid killing your Venus Flytraps? Does the plant and medium regularly get flushed by natural rain outside? Have you noticed any stunted growth, insensitivity in the traps or other signs of mineral-salt burn from using the 350 ppm water?

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!