FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By just5398
I just ordered some bare root plants from here and want to have everything ready to go when they arrive. Soooooo, my question is what do I need to do when they arrive?
By moof
It would be great if you'll have the soil and pots ready when they'll arrive. Just figure out what type of soil mix the plants you ordered need and buy pots for them.
By Matt
As moof said, you'll definitely need soil (peat moss is mandatory, silica sand and perlite are highly recommended) and whatever pots you want to use for your plants. If you haven't picked out pots yet, I'd recommend something insulated and fairly deep (at least 4 inches deep). Steve and I use a lot of 16 ounce insulated beverage cups (styrofoam) for our plants. We also use 8 or 10 inch polyurethane insulated foam pots for our "mother pots".
Matt liked this
By just5398
okay, so basically other than having the soil and pots ready there is nothing I need to do to the plants like rinse the roots or something?
By HarrisAz
read the instructions that Matt packed with the plant.theres an instruction paper.prepare for some distilled water.

i just now view the store and they have vigrous!!!!the vft

they look gorgoues!u guys americans better buy it!
By Matt
just5398 wrote:okay, so basically other than having the soil and pots ready there is nothing I need to do to the plants like rinse the roots or something?
As HarrisAz says, we include a one page instruction sheet on what to do when you get the plant and how to care for it properly. It's a good idea to allow the plant to soak in distilled water while you prepare the pots before potting it up to allow it to fully rehydrate. Recently repotted plants can't keep themselves hydrated as well because their roots aren't yet established. The soak in water allows them to "fill" themselves up with water before being put in soil.
Matt liked this
By RLK
i just recently got a shipment from matt and steve.

after chasing the mailman down screaming like a maniac i calmed myself and did thus:

1.unpack the lil guys
2. run around the house like a fool flaunting your newly acquired CP's like a child
3. filled a plastic tub full of rainwater from my rain barrel
4. let them luxuriate in the cool bath
5. modified the planters i was using as necesarry
6. mixed my preferred potting medium
7. planted my new cp's
8. took lots of pictures to share on the forum
( at some point it might be prudent to name your favorite plants )

~RLK
By carnivorous
HarrisAz wrote:read the instructions that Matt packed with the plant.theres an instruction paper.prepare for some distilled water.

i just now view the store and they have vigrous!!!!the vft

they look gorgoues!u guys americans better buy it!
Hehe!

Yeah, it's a great time now on FTS. More and more types of VFTs are being added.
It's so awesome! :)

Last night after reading your post about the VFT "Vigorous", I checked and
I think I saw a Premium option. Wow!

I was going to order it but read this...

Note—The "Premium" size is recommended for experienced growers because of the
cost; new growers or casual hobbyists may prefer to learn with less expensive
plants first.

I'm a beginner, so I was afraid that I might get it killed and have that nice plant be wasted.
So I decided not to buy it.

Whoever purchased that Premium "Vigorous" is so lucky.
That must be one awesome specimen, especially one cared and grown by Matt/Steve.

FTS sold a Premium 'B52' a few months ago. A lucky person from New Jersey (same state as me!) purchased it
before anybody else. It wasn't me, I wish it was, hehe! :)

Getting a Premium is like winning an FTS VFT lottery! :D

All the best to those that just ordered from FTS. You won't be disappointed
with the quality of the VFTs.
By Matt
carnivorous wrote:Yeah, it's a great time now on FTS. More and more types of VFTs are being added.
Yep, Steve's plants are finally getting past the accidental herbicide damage they experienced earlier this year and many of the TC babies I made over the winter are now getting to sale size, so we finally have a lot of plants to put up for sale now!
carnivorous wrote:Note—The "Premium" size is recommended for experienced growers because of the
plants first.

I'm a beginner, so I was afraid that I might get it killed and have that nice plant be wasted.
It's not likely that you'll kill a "Premium" sized flytrap, but more likely that it will divide into multiple smaller sized flytraps if it is not cared for properly.

As long as you provide a deep, insulated pot and don't over water it, a "Premium" sized flytrap should do well for most people.
Matt liked this
By masmith
Is Premium just bigger?
By HarrisAz
i wish i can buy it :(
i ask the agriculture dept.they said,everytime i wanna import a plant,need to pay as below EVERYTIME buying a plant overseas 0.0

@Permit(which is around RM20 or 7USD)
@Phytosanitary(10USD or RM30++)
@postage(this is normal)(20USD or RM60)
@plant price(normal)
@agent fee(if the plant is blocked by the custom,u have to pay the fee to get it back)(5USD or more)

it means that already more than 20USD is spent without counting the price of plant and postage.such a pathetic news when i heard that
By carnivorous
Matt wrote:
carnivorous wrote:Yeah, it's a great time now on FTS. More and more types of VFTs are being added.
Yep, Steve's plants are finally getting past the accidental herbicide damage they experienced earlier this year and many of the TC babies I made over the winter are now getting to sale size, so we finally have a lot of plants to put up for sale now!
carnivorous wrote:Note—The "Premium" size is recommended for experienced growers because of the
plants first.

It's not likely that you'll kill a "Premium" sized flytrap, but more likely that it will divide into multiple smaller sized flytraps if it is not cared for properly.

As long as you provide a deep, insulated pot and don't over water it, a "Premium" sized flytrap should do well for most people.
Thank you for the update. That is surely great news!
That's awesome for us FTS customers. :)

As for me, still learning, and trying to improve myself
in the proper way of caring/growing VFTs.

All the hard work and care you and Steve put
on all your VFTs and then "Premium" VFTs,
I just didn't want that "Premium" to go to waste on my improper care. Hehe!

I'm quite happy and content with young/mature FTS VFTs, but if I have a chance again and get lucky to see a "Premium" option on FTS,
I'll definitely give it a try now. Thanks! :)
Last edited by carnivorous on Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By carnivorous
HarrisAz wrote:i wish i can buy it :(
i ask the agriculture dept.they said,everytime i wanna import a plant,need to pay as below EVERYTIME buying a plant overseas 0.0

@Permit(which is around RM20 or 7USD)
@Phytosanitary(10USD or RM30++)
@postage(this is normal)(20USD or RM60)
@plant price(normal)
@agent fee(if the plant is blocked by the custom,u have to pay the fee to get it back)(5USD or more)

it means that already more than 20USD is spent without counting the price of plant and postage.such a pathetic news when i heard that
Hmmm, that is expensive.

But there are some other VFT websites (in the USA) that would cost nearly the same if I ordered,
because of minimum purchase requirements, price of the VFT, and their postage/handling charges.
FTS is one of the cheapest places to order VFTs, and you're guaranteed high quality and authentic VFTs.

Ordering from the UK to the USA will cost twice as much or more (permits, certificates, etc.).

But if you really want to get a particular clone/cultivar besides a
Typical VFT, it'll be worth it.

At least you're not breaking any laws/customs trying to bring some VFTs
on a plane and such.

If someone in Malaysia is selling a specific clone/cultivar you're
seeking, make sure that person is trustworthy and that VFT is really
what they claim it is.

For example, 'Jaws'. If someone there is selling a 'Jaws', how are you certain
it's an authentic 'Jaws'. Unless they have some sort of receipt from the place
of purchase and such, and even then, there can be some doubt.

At least if you purchase a 'Jaws' from FTS, you're guaranteed its
quality and authenticity from Matt/Steve.

A real, direct clone from the original. :)

'Jaws': Leo Song Jr. -> Bob Ziemer -> Matt/Steve (FTS) -> customer
is this normal for a d capensis?

That's interesting. I haven't seen or heard of a s[…]

So sorry for the delay, this completely slipped my[…]

If you put it close enough, yes, that light should[…]

Confirming they went in the mail yesterday. :D

Trying My Hand With TC

So any sggestions, guidance, etc,?

Input on Neps placement

My traps and sundews do much better once they g[…]

Only 3 days in the mail, and it arrived today! Th[…]

So much work!!! I love it!

I should have it all ready to list in June, but we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!