FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
Jens, I know you asked this question a while back on the hometissueculture mail list, and I know that now your flower stalks are forming callus, so I was wondering how long it took for it to happen.

Also, where did the callus start? Did it start on the end of the piece of stalk or somewhere in the middle?
By Eric
Matt,
Just a question,but what's callus?
By Matt
Adam wrote:aka a 'strike'?
Yes, similar to a "strike" when you're trying to use flower stalks or leaf pullings to start new plants. "Strikes" are generally just a point of new growth, but in tissue culture, usually a mass of cells is formed and it's just a glob. That's callus. You can tissue culture almost any kind of plant even if they won't vegetatively propagate easily as Dionaea do. Most plants won't "strike" from leaf pullings.

Callus is normally induced through use of hormones called cytokinins. The two most commonly used cytokinins are Kinetin and 6-benzylaminopurine (BAP). I think the photo I posted above from Jens tissue culture was taken after a piece of tissue was transferred from BAP media to hormone free media. After enough callus has formed, you need to transfer the tissue to hormone free media to promote normal growth.
By nepaholic
Hi Matt

it takes about 5 weeks to start callus. I just transfered some stalks to new plain media
Adam wrote:Wow, another transfer, another chance to contaminate :( Seems like a lot of work!
Adam, you need to have the right equipment, then you dont have to worry about this.
When i started with this i allways make it fast and got many contaminations.
Now i have build a flowhood and put the parts/plants out cut and make other things and put on new medium and dont need to worry about how long time it takes or something....
All who want to make more TC need a flowhood.... It is not so much expensive and you can build it easy at home. It cant go better and easier ;)

Jens
By Matt
nepaholic wrote:it takes about 5 weeks to start callus. I just transfered some stalks to new plain media
Great, I'll be patient. What temperature do you keep the cultures at? I'd like to see some photos of the flower stalks when you get a chance Jens.
Adam wrote:Wow, another transfer, another chance to contaminate :( Seems like a lot of work!
I've had extremely good luck working in my 30 gallon aquarium laid on its side. I run a HEPA filter for a day or so in the room I do my work in before I start, then I come in and spray the aquarium down with 91% alcohol. I've yet to get a contamination from air borne stuff. The only contaminations I've gotten have come from tissue that wasn't thoroughly enough sterilized.
By Matt
Awesome Jens! Thanks!
A couple more questions:
1) How do you cut off your flower stalks? Mine always turn a bit black on the end, but yours don't appear to at all. Also, I know I've asked before, but what was your sterilization technique? Was the one in the photo done with an alcohol dip, followed by 3 to 5 minutes in hydrogen peroxide and then 10 minutes in 10% bleach?
2) How much BAP are you using in the media to induce callus?
3) What temperature do you keep them at?
By nepaholic
Matt wrote:Awesome Jens! Thanks!
Thank you Matt :P
Matt wrote: A couple more questions:
1) How do you cut off your flower stalks? Mine always turn a bit black on the end, but yours don't appear to at all. Also, I know I've asked before, but what was your sterilization technique? Was the one in the photo done with an alcohol dip, followed by 3 to 5 minutes in hydrogen peroxide and then 10 minutes in 10% bleach?
Matt, Yes i allways make a Alcohol dip for Explants about 30-60sec...
5min H2O2 followed by 7-8minutes Bleach and 2times rinse for about 5min each rinse.
After this i cut off the black Ends :P
Matt wrote:2) How much BAP are you using in the media to induce callus?
I use allways 1ml/l
Matt wrote:3) What temperature do you keep them at?
I have my cultures at about 22-25´C

Regards
Jens
So waddya ya know?

Mine is coding in Java

I bought my Drosera capensis 'Big Pink' from them […]

price drop =)

New Sarracenia Releases

We are proud to offer some exclusive new releases […]

Cape sundew stem

Decapitate them. Cut the crown off with about 1/2 […]

Weird Venus Flytrap

And also, I may or may not have found a flytrap nu[…]

Progress Pictures

Very impressive :)

Izumia’s first pitcher

After 8 months of waiting, its first pitcher is ge[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!