FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Doomsday
Ok so as some of you may know, goldslinger just gave me (very generously) 5 baby B-52 plantlets!
These are them
This is how they came:

This is a close-up of them in their shiping package (it was in a box too):

My finger is pointing at the tiniest of the babies which is right under it: :D :D :D :D

By moof
I'm jealous:P hope I'll get a B52 one day myself. Very nice plantlets!
By Steve_D
I would take the container out of the plastic bag, and just mist them when necessary. If direct sunlight ever hits that bag, the inside will become extremely hot in very little time and could damage or even literally bake and kill the Venus Flytraps. In my opinion it would be better to let them adjust to lower humidity by taking them out of the bag and just misting them and treating them gently for a few weeks (bright light but not too much direct sunlight at first). If you leave them in the bag, they will grow leaves that are dependent upon almost 100% humidity, and you will have to accustom them to less humidity at some point anyway.

Just my "two bits." :)
Steve_D liked this
By Dooter
Awww, so cute! They're so little (but healthy looking) ! Very nice!
By goldslinger
I think everythings fine, but like Steve said, I would take them out of the bag. They are already hardened (for indoors).
Re-read Steve's post above and take it all to heart.

That looks like good medium for the plants. Since indoors, keep moist but not soggy all the time.

Good luck!

Gary
By Doomsday
Ok so they are out of the gab and haven't watered them yet since two days ago cuz it is moist, but I am picking up a gentle spray bottle today to mist them everyday a bit. They seem to be doing fine except ine of em has 2/3 leaves blackening.... Is it gonna die?????
By goldslinger
It may, it may not. It took the Post Office way too long to get those plants to You; I paid priority.

It might be stress, in which the plant may snap out of it, or the plant could be succombing to rot. If it turns all of the way black and the rhyzome is black and mushy, toss it so it doesn't affect Your other plants.

Good job on just keeping the sphagnum moist, because they are real susceptable to rot right now, especially indoors. Don't get too carried away misting them, too; mist to water the sphagnum, but don't keep the plants constantly wet or they will rot. Your moist Sphagnum is plenty for it's local humidity levels.

Gary
By Steve_D
Doomsday wrote:They seem to be doing fine except ine of em has 2/3 leaves blackening.... Is it gonna die?????
Probably not, and don't overwater them in panic. Test the growing medium by poking a finger into it. If it seems adequately moist, wait a little while longer.

It's normal for a Venus Flytrap to allow a few older leaves to die when it is transplanted in order to focus its efforts, energy and stored food on getting its roots reestablished in the new medium and on the new growth. It's very difficult for roots to keep as many leaves fully hydrated when they are operating less efficiently, as they always do immediately after transplanting.

Don't worry. Just be patient, observe the new growth, not the blackening older leaves, make sure the medium doesn't dry out completely but don't keep it too wet all the time, and they all will probably be fine.
By watnazn
Are you sure that is sphagnum moss, or is it called something else. It looks like something called "green moss" to me.
By Steve_D
Doomsday wrote:What about wilting. Some of the plants are wilting a bit. Should I be worried.
If they're wilting just a little, don't worry about it; it will help them grow a better root system. If they are wilted so much that it looks like they are in imminent danger of drying out completely, then give them water, but don't be too quick to jump to that conclusion. :)

Just observe them regularly, keep them out of extreme sun or extreme wind or extreme anything, don't overwater them, although you can use a turkey baster or something to add some water right next to the bulb near the rosette center if you think that they must have some at that time, but try not to overdo it. Let them have plenty of bright light and even direct sun, but probably keep them inside for 2-3 weeks instead of putting them outside in direct sun all day.

Don't worry too much, and good luck--

You can also buy the Gubler's LFSM at Lowe's, on[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Is there a reason you overlooked flytrapstore.[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has fo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!