FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By goldslinger
I wanted to do 40 b.f. jars or a full Liter, but I wanted half of the media to have .5ml/l Kinetin and the other half 1.5ml/l Kinetin with green food coloring.
By now I have a hodge podge of some that I want to divide and some that I want to grow out.

I did the full batch with .5 Kinetin, dispensed half, then added 1ml to the other half. . :roll: . . so I guess I have 2.5ml/l strength Kinetin.

I'm gonna use it and see what happens, I guess.

I know that mileage varies, but typically, how many replatings occur before planting out from a small wad of dense plants? I'm guessing it will take about 4 or 4 months? Would that be equivelant to a 3 year old VFT?

One thing I've realized by now, is that a clump of plants will sort themselves out; one or two in the mass will grow much larger than the rest. I guess I grow those out and keep the smaller masses multiplying. It seems if I take a larger plant and try to multiply it out, I don't get as aggressive of multiplication as I do simply dividing (seems like I have to do it with a knife) a large clump of many small plants. That small wad multiplies many more plants quicker.

btw, some of You know what I'm talking about when I say that at some point You start to learn more by doing, than by asking. A lot of questions at first, guilt from asking so many questions, second guessing, frustration, and oh,the learning curve; but as knowledge and confidence is gained, the more self experimenting and fun! I know it's funny, but I will never know everything about TC, but I find that fact the most exciting aspect of this hobby. :D
There is so much 'Terra Incognita' in this field.
Gary
By Matt
goldslinger wrote:I did the full batch with .5 Kinetin, dispensed half, then added 1ml to the other half. . :roll: . . so I guess I have 2.5ml/l strength Kinetin.

I'm gonna use it and see what happens, I guess.
My guess is that it will work quite well. Seems like the more hormones, the larger the plants get in a shorter amount of time. The only drawback is that they seem to not grow roots and have distorted growth. If you try to pot them out when they're like that, they'll usually die. You have to replate them until most of the hormones are gone, which can take a couple of replatings it seems.
goldslinger wrote:I know that mileage varies, but typically, how many replatings occur before planting out from a small wad of dense plants? I'm guessing it will take about 4 or 4 months? Would that be equivelant to a 3 year old VFT?
I can't really be too helpful here Gary because I've not been too terribly scientific so far when doing my replates. I've not been doing this long enough to know the amount of time it should take from start to finish. I've only now started developing my preferred steps and media for initialization, multiplication and growing out. In the past, I just kept replating plants on the same media over and over again until I had too many plants and I had to plant them out. That's one reason that Steve and I have thousands of very small plants right now. I'm hoping to learn the process well this year and learn how long it takes from initialization to get nice sized plants for planting out. Right now I'd guess that it takes longer than 4 months to get a 3 year old equivalent VFT. I'd guess something closer to 8 months or so.
goldslinger wrote:It seems if I take a larger plant and try to multiply it out, I don't get as aggressive of multiplication as I do simply dividing (seems like I have to do it with a knife) a large clump of many small plants. That small wad multiplies many more plants quicker.
I've noticed this as well and I typically just pull out the largest plants and pot them up even if they're coming right off of multiplication media.

And I hear you on the learning by doing more than by asking. But we all have to start somewhere and get some basic questions answered before we can do anything. I love the time I spend doing tissue culture. It's by far my favorite hobby right now and I'm excited to propagate so many hard to find clones to make them available to more people. It's rewarding and fun!
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!