FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By killerost
I'm very new to this, so I got some n00b questions. :) I bought a Dionea, a Nephentes Alata and a Drosera capensis Alba a couple of months ago. But since I live in on the fourth floor I've not been able to collect any rain water. But today I bought 8 liters of destilled water for them. I also read someplace that you should flush out the chemicals & minerals from tap water with rainwater or distilled water. I read that you're supposed to water the Dionea and the Drosera in the saucer. But how can you flush out the minerals from a pot when you water it in the saucer? Should I water them in the pot to flush them, or should I just continue watering them in the saucer with the distilled water and.. well.. hope that the mineral buildup hasn't been to much for them. Thanks for any tips. :)
By 95slvrZ28
If you've been watering with tap water the damage has already been done. That said, it's highly recommended that you flush the medium with pure water. In order to do this, water from the top and discard the water that drains out. Do this a few times a day for a few days and you should be fine. After you do this, you can start watering with the tray method, although it is recommended that you occasionally top water to help rinse away any mineral buildup.
95slvrZ28 liked this
By OR1ON
Hi and welcome! i remember asking almost the exact same thing when i first started :')
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!