FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By norma5150
I have a plant that is just growing the traps again. The thing is that the stalk is growing super fast. in the last 24 hours it has grown HALF AN INCH!! Really. my son and I marked it because since this last weekend it grew out of the top of its container. Is this normal???
By norma5150
Thanks Matt. I have seen pictures of the flowers and I think they are quite pretty. How can i get the plant and the flowers both?
By ModeratelyExcessive
Well traps will still grow even if you allow them to flower. It will just be slower growing because growing the flower stalk takes up so much of the plant's energy.

Or you can get two plants and just allow one to flower.
By SDCPs
Just give the plant full sun. Place it where it gets sun for the WHOLE day. You may have to acclimate the plant to avoid/minimize burning if it isn't in full sun already. You can just leave the stalk on. You seem to have a healthy plant anyway. If the plant is damaged or sickly, that is the only time I take the stalks off.

See this thread. I let the plants flower...and look how they grew! it didn't stunt them at all!: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/vfts- ... t4877.html
SDCPs liked this
By Matt
SDCPs wrote:If the plant is damaged or sickly, that is the only time I take the stalks off.
That is my technique as well. Also, if the plant is fairly small, I'll occasionally snip the flower stalk off.

However, I recommend novice growers that just got a flytrap and might not be giving a it ideal conditions snip the stalk off. There's no reason to add additional stress for the plant that already is dealing with so many different things such as a new person taking care of it, possibly new medium, a new climate, etc.
Matt liked this
By Shane
Also, if you cut it off, plant it next to the plant. You may get a strike.
By SDCPs
Matt wrote:
SDCPs wrote:If the plant is damaged or sickly, that is the only time I take the stalks off.
That is my technique as well. Also, if the plant is fairly small, I'll occasionally snip the flower stalk off.

However, I recommend novice growers that just got a flytrap and might not be giving a it ideal conditions snip the stalk off. There's no reason to add additional stress for the plant that already is dealing with so many different things such as a new person taking care of it, possibly new medium, a new climate, etc.
Makes perfect sense!
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!