FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By goldslinger
You are talking about putting VFT flower stalks and leaf sections in vitro, right? If so, then Kinetin is a good idea. How concentrated is it?
By tejan24
hi goldslinger,
yes VFTs, its 1ml/1L, is this ok. Im really new to tissue culture and i got a kit a few weeks ago.

i also have a crosstooth seedling (i was able to steralize it) so its also in kinetin is this ok?
By hackerberry
Hi tejan24,

I would use 2ml/L of kinetin.

hb
By hackerberry
Kinetin is actually for cell division and shoot proliferation. You can even use it as foliar spray. So yes, you can use it.

hb
By tejan24
thank you hb for the info,
i have this little guy in here for one week with 1ml/1L kinetin. or should i have used no hormones on this crosstooth.
Attachments:
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG (462.89 KiB) Viewed 5260 times
By hackerberry
Wow, still looking great. Your concentration should be fine. It's just that I see your have too much Agar in the medium. What was your sterilization protocol for this little guy?

hb
By tejan24
I used 1ml kinetin, 1ml PPA, 2Tbsp sugar, and 9g of agar. I used one-liter %50 ms
hb are you asking how much agar because of the color of the media? If so its because I used a few drops of blue food coloring.
here is a dingley giant.
here is a dingley giant.
IMG_0522.JPG (631.39 KiB) Viewed 5241 times

For my sterilization protocol.
I took off all visible black on the plant including the rhizome.
Rinse the plant for 5-min (running tap water)
The used the PAA mix http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/paa-i ... t4131.html for 3 min
Then put it in the media, with no rinse.
By goldslinger
That's looking good so far!
How long has He been sitting in the media?

PAA sterilization is still very experimental, but like You, I did the exact same thing and I have more than one seedling doing good using this protocol.
Most of Your leaves may turn black, but You should get a strike on the whitish part like Mine did.

Good luck and keep Us posted!

Gary
By goldslinger
That's doing very good for 8 Days!

Having the Kinetin in the media will help strike a callous for You. VFT's don't need any PGR'S to callous, but it helps alot if You have it for initiation, anyway.

How hard is the media? When You hold the jar and tap it, does the media jiggle nice like pudding, or is it very rigid and You can feel the vibration with the fingers holding the jar? If so, You may want to try a little less Agar next time. That might be what Hackerberry was worried about, that it is very cloudy, but not the color; We know You used coloring. It might just be real cloudy because You used supermarket Agar, which is fine, and You do have to use a bit more of that than the micropropagational grade agar to get the same consistancy.

Try to get the Agar to set up soft and jiggly, but that it doesn't collapse when You tilt the jar, then it is just right. It won't hurt if it's a little too hard, but growth is better if not too hard, okay?

Gary
By goldslinger
tejan24 wrote:ok Gary i see now and it is a little firm. i used 9g of agar is this to much?
Probably want to go down to 6 to 7 Grams next time as a general rule. Agars can vary by brand on how much to use, so find what is best for You using the finger tapping test I mentioned. If You change brands, You have to find out how much again. It can even vary some from batch to batch.
Are You buying flakes from an Asian market?

When I was using agar from health food store, I used roughly 5.5 to 6 Grams/Liter. When I went to Micropropagation Grade Agar, I had to lower to 4.5 Grams per liter. It was much purer, so took less, I guess.

PH can also affect the gel. You should target PH to roughly 5.5 to 5.7 if You can.
goldslinger liked this
Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!