FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Spunro
sounds good but i dont have a place to find this stuff, i live in a small town without a garden centre so online shopping is my only option
By Spunro
Spunro wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:24 pm im not sure if theres a way to directly contact the seller, i dont use amazon very often

its weird because there are 17 ratings and none of them are under 4 stars? maybe bots? if only there was a way to check

surely if its listed as carnivore soil it should have been tested with them first?? :|
asked a question and have got multiple answers but they seem a little suspicious as they were all posted around the same time

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ask/questions/ ... tf_saa_aas
By MikeB
Spunro wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:20 pm sounds good but i dont have a place to find this stuff, i live in a small town without a garden centre so online shopping is my only option
Are there any farm-supply stores in your area? I get my sand from a local store; they sell it as "filter sand". Chicken grit is another option. If anyone sells sandblasting supplies, that might be usable, too.

When I had just a few plants, I used to buy sand from Amazon sellers. However, shipping costs were rather high because sand is heavy. As the number of my plants increased, this was no longer an affordable option. Go to Amazon UK, search for "coarse sand for plants", and you'll see what I'm talking about. The shipping cost is 2 or 3 times as much as the sand itself.
Spunro wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:38 pm asked a question and have got multiple answers but they seem a little suspicious as they were all posted around the same time
The only way to know for sure is to test it out. If you don't want to risk an entire plant, do a leaf-pull propagation and see it it will grow in this soil.
By Spunro
i never wouldve thought of doing a leaf pull, thats a good idea

i had a quick look on amazon and all the sand i can find is by the same seller that made this suspicious carnivorous plant soil, the closest thing i have to a farm shop is a harbro but im not sure if they would sell sand?
By evenwind
Spunro wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:25 pm i had a quick look on amazon and all the sand i can find is by the same seller that made this suspicious carnivorous plant soil, the closest thing i have to a farm shop is a harbro but im not sure if they would sell sand?
Hasbro may not have suitable sand but they could easily have chicken grit. If you do investigate the grit, be sure it has no additives. It should be just be (insoluble) crushed granite with no probiotics or anything else added.
By Spunro
its quite far away and as far as i know you cant browse products on their website so ill have to wait until i have a chance to go there to check
By 93pirks
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235298488445
Try this from Ireland and available in a variety of sizes, says it’s good for carnivorous plants and has nothing added

I will be ordering 3 bales soon as I want to make sure I’ve enough peat to last me quite a few years and can’t get hold of the evergreen brand currently
Spunro liked this
By 93pirks
Spunro wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:09 pm title, heres the link https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carnivorous-Pl ... 71&sr=8-18
That stuff is being miss sold, please leave a bad review as it is not for carnivorous plants as one of the first thing it states as has been said here is it states ‘nutrient rich’ so please let others know in your review so others won’t buy it for their plants.
Intheswamp, Spunro liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!