FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By joecal87
So I got 10 fused tooth x fused tooth seeds from this place. Turned out to be atleast 12 plus seeds.Perfect for my first grow a bigger room for error lol

Anyway they were all planted in a 6 inch pot on Jan 2nd. i’ve had it under a 36w Sansi light for 14 to 18 hours a day (one foot away but last week i brought it closer like 6 inches) and the pot was also on a heating pad. I figured i’d play it safe being that it’s winter. As far as the water went i for the most part kept it sitting in water. when the tray was empty i would let it stand for a 24/36 hours before putting it back in the water

Well today i finally saw my first signs of green on Jan 22nd. I am hoping to find more in the coming days.

Anyway my question to you guys - i’ve had a plastic lid on top that i take off for a few min every day to prevent mold and encourage air circulation. i also every day tap it once to shake off water for the light and to keep the top moist. I know once they have all sprouted i should take them off but what’s the longest i should keep it on since there may be some stragglers? Tomorrow will be 3 weeks. I figure maybe next week or the following week i will keep the lid off. thoughts?
By steve booth
I never cover my seeds or seedlings, they simply don't need it, however if you have been doing it that, that is now what the plant is used to, and the lower transpiration rate is what the roots and green tissue is used to, so acclimate them gradually, over a few days ( a week or so with exposure to 'normal' air increasing) to no dome at all.
Cheers
Steve
joecal87, andynorth liked this
By joecal87
steve booth wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:53 am I never cover my seeds or seedlings, they simply don't need it, however if you have been doing it that, that is now what the plant is used to, and the lower transpiration rate is what the roots and green tissue is used to, so acclimate them gradually, over a few days ( a week or so with exposure to 'normal' air increasing) to no dome at all.
Cheers
Steve
thanks! then that’s exactly what i will do. i took it off for a few hours earlier so ill keep doing that and increasing it over the next week or two til i no longer need it

also a second sprout discovered today
:mrgreen: very exciting lol

Long time ago this nepenthes began flowering and w[…]

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!