FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Greenleaf_999
I’m curious, I just ordered a big mouth cultivar on carnivorous plant resource, they’re having a huge sale on Jeremiah’s plants. I am curious on how well it does with white artificial lighting.

I only paid 15 dollars for the grand total for the plant. Hoping it comes in and does just as good as my typical, if not better.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By joecal87
i am also curious. i am doing an indoor grow but i am hoping if i can leave em outside atleast a few times a week during the spring and summer it would be a good combo of both lights unless of course i can leave em out there for the full 10 hours if its not raining or anything. figure it can’t hurt!
By ChefDean
joecal87 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:41 pm i am also curious. i am doing an indoor grow but i am hoping if i can leave em outside atleast a few times a week during the spring and summer it would be a good combo of both lights unless of course i can leave em out there for the full 10 hours if its not raining or anything. figure it can’t hurt!
The issue that you'll run in to is that you'll cause undue stress to your plants by moving them in and out because they'll be constantly trying to adapt to different environments, and will likely slowly die. Pick one and stick with it.
They get rained on in the wild, so rain itself isn't a problem. The problem is that a hard, direct rain can splash the media out of the pot. If you have a spot that protects from the rain but gets a few hours of direct sunlight, put it there.
Inside, you'll need strong artificial lighting for 12+ hours a day.
andynorth, joecal87 liked this
By andynorth
ChefDean wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:46 pm The issue that you'll run in to is that you'll cause undue stress to your plants by moving them in and out because they'll be constantly trying to adapt to different environments, and will likely slowly die. Pick one and stick with it.
I can definitely attest to this as I killed off most of my VFT's by doing exactly that, thinking I was doing them a favor. I just made a significant investment in a large quantity of dormant VFT's that come Spring time will be placed outside and left there. I have cages to protect them from critters. I just need to figure out some type of rain guard as we have lots of that until around the first or second week of July.
joecal87 liked this
By joecal87
andynorth wrote:
ChefDean wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:46 pm The issue that you'll run in to is that you'll cause undue stress to your plants by moving them in and out because they'll be constantly trying to adapt to different environments, and will likely slowly die. Pick one and stick with it.
I can definitely attest to this as I killed off most of my VFT's by doing exactly that, thinking I was doing them a favor. I just made a significant investment in a large quantity of dormant VFT's that come Spring time will be placed outside and left there. I have cages to protect them from critters. I just need to figure out some type of rain guard as we have lots of that until around the first or second week of July.
that’s good to know. i didn’t think bringing them in and out would do any harm. i will stick with the indoor then, i get great sunlight in that particular room anyway but since nj gets cloudy a lot i will probably just use my light every day then. we really only get like 2 maybe 3 months of really good sunlight. so i guess they will just get the sunlight whenever it shines through and the rest from their light. minus dormancy of course
By ChefDean
Just make sure you have a good light, and plan on pretty much having that light on whenever you're awake. You could have it in a room that gets sun all day, but modern glass filters sunlight so that the plant would get less benefit there than being outside on a cloudy day.
Good luck.
andynorth liked this

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!