FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
DragonsEye wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:46 pm Coex parts look like the standard cheapo that most of the big nurseries use when they pass things on to places like Lowe’s, Home Depot, Menards, etc. What you might do if you just want to get that type of would be to go to any of the forementioned, big box, stores, and check their trash bins. See when they’re throwing those out, they often let you just take them for free.
That's not a bad idea. I've gotten 1020 "inserts" of different kinds doing that...now if I could just find the solid 1020 trays! :lol:
By Intheswamp
...adding on to the post above. I just wanted to say that it is amazing the number of plants the BBSs literally kill simply by not watering them!
By MikeB
DragonsEye wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:46 pm What you might do if you just want to get that type of would be to go to any of the forementioned, big box, stores, and check their trash bins. See when they’re throwing those out, they often let you just take them for free.
The garden center at one of my local hardware stores has a "free pots" section. I found some decent pots there, but they had to be scrubbed and then soaked for a few days to get rid of any fertilizer build-up.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
MikeB wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:55 pm I also found this, has interesting possibilities:

Window box planters with drip trays, white
17 inches wide x 7.4 inches deep x 5.5 inches tall
7 for $18.69 ($2.67 each)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BWDTHL1S?&th=1
Mike, I like the window box planters. They seem nice for a group planting of a single species or maybe even for a mixed group. I can't remember how deep these are but, but they appear to be working pretty good, but I do wish they were a little deeper. Below are some leaf-cuttings I made last year of some Florida Giant x Tracyi (look familiar @elaineo :D ) in an old planter I had here at the house. There's a few more of them sitting around that I'm considering scrubbing and cleaning up. The only thing is the detachable water tray seems rather shallow to me and might need replacing with something deeper.

I think they're hinting that they want a nap this year...
IMG_3515acrp (Custom).jpg
IMG_3515acrp (Custom).jpg (492.42 KiB) Viewed 651 times
MikeB liked this
By MikeB
Intheswamp wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:58 pm The only thing is the detachable water tray seems rather shallow to me and might need replacing with something deeper.
That's why I called them "drip trays"; they're way too shallow to be dignified as "saucers". One window box planter will easily fit in a 1020 tray, giving you plenty of room for a water reserve.

If you get them, I recommend breaking out the drill and doubling or tripling the number of drain holes in each planter.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Definitely "drip trays"! That planter of filiformis gets watered pretty regular, though the peat/perlite mix seems to work pretty well for it at retaining moisture. I actually did drill some more holes in the planter some. I always like to at least at a few holes in the sides right down at the bottom incase the bottom of the pot gets blocked by whatever it's sitting on. Mostly in the bottom, I think I recall getting aggravated with drilling into the curved side of the bottom. :) I think that probably I need to invest in some 1020 trays rather than new pots right now. I've got a hodgepodge of food containers, Sterilite containers, repurposed containers that "things" came in, that I've been using. My wife begins to panic when we buy something in a hard plastic shell...she knows I'll add it to my "pile". :mrgreen:
andynorth, MikeB liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!