FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Ronnie
Would my VFT's etc survive in a mini greenhouse over winter in tempretures of up to -10 celcius?
We have snow aswell.. I live in Dundee, Scotland.

The greenhouse is similar to this: http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... arch=false

And also, would this be ok in summer? or would it cook my plants? Summer tempretures range from 19-29 celcius.. can sometimes go into the 30's..

If anyone could help or direct me to a better greenhouse type thing that would be great.

Cheers,
Ronnie.
By Ronnie
Anyone have any advice?
By Matt
Growing in a greenhouse without heat or some form of cooling can be difficult. I learned that last year. I use a shade cloth and fan in the summer and then I ran electricity out to the greenhouse to run a heater in the winter. I keep it above freezing in the winter and as cool as I can in the summer. The plants struggled last year when I wasn't cooling the greenhouse.
By JimsPlants
I think it would be fine in the summer as long as that door was always open.
Winter time i think anytihng inside would freeze though.
By Adam
What I have read is that the reason green houses are bad during winter is dehydration. Apparently, it's better to have a VFT frozen solid for many days than to be frozen and thawed over and over again. I'm guessing you would want to have all windows in the green house open and then in february shut them and add a heater to avoid freezing over night and let the temperatures get into the 20s during the day to start a lengthened growing season.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!