FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Jonathan Hao
I am building a 10" bog pot with a height of 4" for a sarracenia, a drosera, and (hopefully in the future) a VFT.

I've currently filled it from bottom to top with the layers of: 3/4" perlite, peat moss, thin top layer of sphagnum moss. I have a well where I can monitor the water level in the pot.

How high should the water level be in the pot? I'm currently always aiming for ~1".

In addition, if I set up a similar pot for pinguiculas, what should the layers of medium look like? I'm thinking 3/4" perlite, then just some generic ping mix to the top? Also, for the pings, I know they like a little less water, so I'm thinking maybe keeping the water level at about ~1/2"?

Would you guys recommend any changes to the layers in these pots?

I've attached a picture of the pot:
383360667_182401291547701_6258495549226416137_n.jpg
383360667_182401291547701_6258495549226416137_n.jpg (112.22 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
By Panman
Unfortunately, I don't think you are going to have much success with your plan. First off, layering the media does not help. You actually cause it to retain more water instead of draining. Mix the peat/perlite 50/50 and use it. A thin layer of sphagnum on top is good to keep the media moist and prevent splashing. Second, a 10 inch pot will hold a mature pitcher plant, but that is about it. You might be able to add a few sundews but they will eventually be crowded out by the pitcher plant. Finally, a flytrap will not like sitting in any amount of water in a pot that deep. Even water loving sarrs and sundews might struggle with having very little room for their roots without them sitting in water. My rule of thumb is that flytraps need to be in at least a 5 inch deep pot in order to stay in 1/2 inch of water. Sarrs I grow in 8 inch or taller pots because they have massive root systems.
Intheswamp liked this
By Jonathan Hao
@Panman - First of all, thanks for the reply!

I'll plan to make the pot taller (to 5") as well as getting rid of the layering. I'll go with a 1:1 peat/perlite mix and keep the thin layer of sphagnum on top. I'll also aim to keep the water level to 1/2". The sarracenia I have is a saraccenia velvet, which I think should only grow up to ~12" tall, so I'm hoping the overcrowding won't really be an issue. However, I'll definitely keep an eye on the it and move it to its own pot at the first sign of overcrowding.

Does all this sound like a plausible path forward?

Has anyone heard about this population of giant tr[…]

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!