FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.

Moderator: Matt

By evenwind
I’m trying something new. I’ve been collecting Spats and Capis for years, buying anything with a different location attached. Over time, some of the suppliers have proven themselves unreliable. But the plants themselves are nice, even if their location data is iffy. So far, I've been dumping these iffy seeds into the "mixed drosera" packs. On one hand, I feel a responsibility to get the names as correct as I can, especially since our seed bank is international. On the other, some of these unreliable location plants are quite pretty and, I think, deserve to be themselves in collections.

In similar circumstances, we’ve labeled plants as “large form”, “reddish form”, and the like. But I’ve got a lot of unknowns. And most of them are not unique, just pretty. There are no “spotted flowers” or “long arms”. So, I’m planning to isolate the nicer plants, giving each location group an very unofficial name: "Population Xn", where the "X" represents the apparent species and the "n" is just the next number to be chosen. I'm going to add simple descriptions when I contribute them to the seed bank. They'll still be officially just Tier 0 "spatulata" or "capillaris" but there will be something like "maybe New Zealand" attached to the name, so folks will have an idea what they’re getting, should they care. My object is keep the various strains separate and available. I'm ignoring the original unreliable source name because, as I said, I want to keep our Seed Bank as accurate as possible. This is the kind of thing that's happened: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/post4 ... ml#p432782. The seed bank currently has these seeds listed as "D. loureiroi "spat var loureiroi" (Macao)" which we know they are not. In this particular case, when I donate more of them, I’ll call them "D. spatulata Pop.S4 - like Hong Kong" which, hopefully, is better. Or at least, less inaccurate. I’ll be posting pics of each Population, so there’s some kind of clarity. I’m hoping this is a better solution.

Some examples:
pop S1 700.jpg
pop S1 700.jpg (239.92 KiB) Viewed 759 times
pop S2 700.JPG
pop S2 700.JPG (226.01 KiB) Viewed 759 times
pop S3 700.jpg
pop S3 700.jpg (260.84 KiB) Viewed 693 times
pop C2 700.JPG
pop C2 700.JPG (233.12 KiB) Viewed 759 times
Pop S4 700.jpg
Pop S4 700.jpg (240.6 KiB) Viewed 616 times
Last edited by evenwind on Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Intheswamp, Aquis31, MikeB and 2 others liked this
By Intheswamp
I appreciate your desire to get good location data, evenwind. Lots of folks wouldn't think much of it. Also, those are some really nice examples of some of the plants that your talking about...they definitely need to be out there where people can grow them! ...of course the quality of the plants also show the skill of the grower, too! ;)
evenwind liked this

Has anyone heard about this population of giant tr[…]

Received. Thanks!

They arrived! thank you! :D

Just saw this https://lifehacker.com/home/how-to-g[…]

Thanks. Yeah I’ve been trying to find a loca[…]

Thanks guys I’ll cut it. I haven’t got[…]

RO Buddy Reviews

Yes, you can use it for other plants that aren't s[…]

I don't do FB but I believe I may have seen this. […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!