FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Canuck_in_TX
Was wondering about how much to cut when trimming off a dead pod (i.e. when it turns completely black but of course the rest of the pods are healthy on the plant)? Do you just cut off the pod or do you take it further and cut more of the stem off? Was curious. Thus far when a pod dies, I just cut off that top part only, leaving the stem. Which is the correct procedure?
By Nickrober
If a trap turns completely black I will cut it off right at the edge where it's black and leave everything that is green, including the leaf. Lots of times when I do that the leaf stays green for quite a while, it just doesn't have a trap on it anymore.
By Adam
If the leaf looks pretty dry or very yellowed, I just snip the whole thing. I find that the plant has an easier time providing water for new growth that way.
By linton
If you are referring to the leaf (petiole) and trap (lamina), you should only cut into dead "black" tissue - this should reduce the possibility of introducing infection into live tissue.
By Timmy
No, this is what you do. Cut the flower as close to the rhizome. Then out it in a seperate pot and wait till it blooms. Hand pollinate it, and you will most likely get the same parent as babies and you'll get seeds. MAybe if you clone more, you get to UR Cultivars.

Greetings fellow enthusiasts! I've been intrigued […]

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Hey all, a couple of pitchers came up with corkscr[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I'm just dipping my toes into the world of nepenth[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!