FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By Sarahsclera
I’m pretty new and inexperienced with carnivorous plants but I’m trying to remedy that! I’ve had success the few times I’ve tried sundew seeds so I’d love to give some others a try. Also totally interested in more sundew seeds as well. I’m working on filling a 5 gallon terrarium with all carnivorous plants this spring!
By ChefDean
I would suggest you continue to focus on drosera if you're, #1 looking to gain more experience growing from seed. And #2, planning on putting them in a terrarium.
While many carny plants can germinate and grow in the lower quality light of a terrarium, I think sundews will give you a better chance at success. Likely the more subtropical ones that don't necessarily need anything special like Capes and spats, and others like those.
By Sarahsclera
Thanks! I’ll give it some time with sundews before I branch out with other seeds. They won’t all go in a terrarium, just whatever I can squeeze in my 5 gallon! I move all of my terrariums/jar terrariums outside to full sun on my porch once it’s warm enough to keep them happy.
By ChefDean
I would be careful about moving glass terrariums out into the sun. What typically happens is they often act like magnifying glasses and cook the contents
Sarahsclera, Sundews69 liked this
By Sarahsclera
ChefDean wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:35 pm I would be careful about moving glass terrariums out into the sun. What typically happens is they often act like magnifying glasses and cook the contents
When I did one last year I put some moss, lichen, and bark around the inside edges of my tank to try to prevent any cooking. I didn’t have any issues when I did that but I’ll keep an eye out for it and definitely skip on moving my jars outdoors!
Ras liked this

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!