FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Trudy T
I would like to make a mini bog in a container for my pichers. It cannot be too big, because my balcony is not big. What would you recomment for the minimum seizes for 4 small pitcher plants? Any other tips and trics are very welcome. Tyia.
By Sundews69
Well, you could have a small pot for now but as the plants mature they will need a much bigger one. For three almost mature pitcher plants along with other carnivorous plants, I'm using something that is (I think) 50-ish inches across. As long as you can fit them in the pot and the rhizome is facing in a direction where is will have nothing in the way and just dirt to grow into (So they can't be right next to each other), they should be fine.
Trudy T liked this
By Bug_cemetery
Here’s my little beginner bog that I made last year. I live in MI zone 6b ish and wasn’t sure how I was going to need to overwinter them yet so I used a small plastic bucket to actually plant in, then put that in a bigger pot. The idea was that I could lift out the plastic bucket and move it to the garage for winter if I had to. The bucket is just over 10” wide and about 2 gallons. I drilled some holes a few inches below the rim for drainage.
There is space between the rim of the bucket and the big pot that I put blue-eyed grass in this year and top dressed with moss to mostly hide the plastic. The sarracenia will outgrow it for sure but that’s a problem for later. :lol:
I highly recommend starting cheap and small and learning what works for your space and climate. Much easier to make adjustments if you aren’t dealing with something huge and complicated!
334EE177-A155-4EAD-AAD8-3188FFDC5B30.jpeg
334EE177-A155-4EAD-AAD8-3188FFDC5B30.jpeg (266.36 KiB) Viewed 4837 times
67CC8C04-38FB-44F3-AE79-E9067BE5FDBD.jpeg
67CC8C04-38FB-44F3-AE79-E9067BE5FDBD.jpeg (238.95 KiB) Viewed 4837 times
By Gary
I made this mini-bog this year. It's similar to the design posted on the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens site. One variation on this design used terra cotta pots but I was concerned about mineral leaching, so the two pots I used are plastic. The pot in the center sits on the bottom of the basin and drains into a layer of lava rock. I put about 3" of LFSM on top of the rocks and filled the remaining volume with 70/30 peat/Perlite. Works really well for bottom watering. I have just one large VFT in it right now, but I've collected about 10 more of them that I'll transplant into it after dormancy in the spring.
I strongly recommend rinsing the lava rock several times until it runs clear. There's a lot of rock dust in there. Use distilled water for the final rinse.
Attachments:
0324221601.jpg
0324221601.jpg (5.43 MiB) Viewed 4243 times
Panman, plantnerdjules liked this
By steve booth
It depends on what you mean by 'small' pitcher plants. Four purpurea if well grown and planted in the corners would need a 16" square pot minimum. The taller Sarracenia, such as flava, leucophylla or their hybrids would need something larger, for instance I have single plants in buckets of 16" diameter x 16" high with holes drilled and plugged in the sides to vary the water levels, and they fill it after a year or two.
If you are suggesting smaller growing plants like rubra, chelsoni or catesbaei you will still need something about 16" diameter or square once they start growing and dividing.

Cheers
Steve
Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

Hey all, just got my order in today and figured I'[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!