FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By SephSFX
Hi, I recently bought a pretty crowded pot of B52 and was wondering if it needed to be repotted soon or whether I should wait until dormancy.

The VFTs are currently in a 2"x2" pot and there seems to be a lot of plants in that pot.

When I do repot, is it recommended that I:
- divide the plants into separate pots
- pot them straight up in a bigger container as they are right now
- divide and still pot them all in a bigger container but with additional space between each plant.

Thanks.
By Sundews69
I think you should wait till winter. You can leave them clumped together and just move them to a bigger pot or you can divide them. It's your choice. Where did you get a large clump of B52 from?
tommyr liked this
By Carnies
You can do it now or in dormancy, doing it now might stunt growth but for me flytraps grow faster after a repot, probably cause of the fresh soil.
By VelvetTooth
I’ve never had a problem with repotting when it’s not in dormancy. If I were u I’d do it now
By SephSFX
I guess repotting into a larger container should reduce the risk of stunting growth? I think it’s called slip potting?

As for where I got this clump, it caught my eye on the Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society sale this weekend, paid $25 for it, hopefully it wasn’t too much. It’s certainly a lot larger than the death tube $5 VFT that I got from Trader Joe’s.
Sundews69 liked this
By VelvetTooth
Wow great deal for that many large B52 in a pot. U don’t have to do anything special for repotting. Just separate each plant from each other in a larger pot as u would a normal plant
By Sundews69
SephSFX wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:30 am I guess repotting into a larger container should reduce the risk of stunting growth? I think it’s called slip potting?

As for where I got this clump, it caught my eye on the Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society sale this weekend, paid $25 for it, hopefully it wasn’t too much. It’s certainly a lot larger than the death tube $5 VFT that I got from Trader Joe’s.
Yeah, slip potting will reduce stress. You got an amazing deal on B52!
By tommyr
I would wait until winter dormancy. It will be fine until then.
SephSFX liked this
By SephSFX
It’s been around a month and a half and the B52 seems to be doing pretty good.

Hopefully it will be enough space for it until winter. Image

MikeB liked this
By MikeB
SephSFX wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:30 am I guess repotting into a larger container should reduce the risk of stunting growth? I think it’s called slip potting?
I wouldn't slip-pot these. They'd still be crowded together, only now in a bigger pot. I would bare-root them and spread them out across a bigger pot, giving each plant more "elbow room".
SephSFX wrote: As for where I got this clump, it caught my eye on the Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society sale this weekend, paid $25 for it, hopefully it wasn’t too much. It’s certainly a lot larger than the death tube $5 VFT that I got from Trader Joe’s.
25 bucks for that nice pot full of B52's is a good deal.
SephSFX liked this
By SephSFX
MikeB wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:22 am I wouldn't slip-pot these. They'd still be crowded together, only now in a bigger pot. I would bare-root them and spread them out across a bigger pot, giving each plant more "elbow room".
Sounds like a plan, it would be preferable if I still wait for winter/dormancy to do that, right?
By MikeB
SephSFX wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:55 am Sounds like a plan, it would be preferable if I still wait for winter/dormancy to do that, right?
The plants look like they're doing fine right now, so I would wait until they go dormant to do the repot. They grow very slowly during dormancy, and they hardly notice that you're messing with them. Come spring, they'll wake up to fresh soil and a bigger pot, and then they should really take off.
Intheswamp, tommyr liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!