FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By bpetar1207
Hello. To start this off, around a month ago, i repotted 2 of my VFTs into a larger pot. I first put it on the balcony to my right, where it got some morning light, then I thought it wasn't enough, so I put it on the balcony to my left where it gets a lot of afternoon light. However, here, it seems to be struggling a lot, as a lot of the leaves turned black, and now even the baby leaves that just came out of the ground are turning black at the tips. I water it every 4-ish days with a bit of water under the pot, and a bit on the top. I placed it where it was previously on the balcony to my right, and I hope it'll be better from there, but I need your help guys.
By Panman
Pictures would help, as well as your location. Nee leaves turning black is often a sign of rhizome problems or mineral poisoning, so afew questions.
1. What soil did you use to repot?
2. What type of pot is it in?
3. When you do water it, how wet is the soil before you water it?
4. Have you always kept it on the balcony?
By Sundews69
@Panman do you think it could just be from the much more intense afternoon sun? Maybe that quick transition from less intense morning sun to strong afternoon sun caused the plant to burn a bit?
By bpetar1207
Hello. To answer a few questions here, im located in eastern europe.
First off, no i didnt always keep it on the balcony, it was usually behind a window.
Secondly, i dont know what kind of soil it is, i went to a garden shop, told them that i need soil for a VFT to repot it, and they gave me some soil. Honestly, at this point i think they gave me some bogus crappy one.
The pot is a bit deep, around 12cm (4.72 inch) and wide around 13cm (5.1 inch), and longer than 20cm, i cant accurately measure it. It has a detachable bottom for watering.
I water it when i see that the soil is drier.
I apologize for my bad english.
By Panman
First, don't apologize for your English. I don't speak any other languages, so you are one up on me.

My feeling is that you got bad soil. You need to get peat and perlite. You can also use just plain sphagnum. You need to repot it into a media that you know is safe.

The surface of the soil should always be damp.
By tib777
I think they gave you some regular soil that might have fertilizer :( ... that isn’t good. If it does have fertilizer, your plant will die if not repotted and rinsed with distilled or RO water to flush out the fertilizer/minerals ASAP.

Also, VFTs love it wet and moist all the time, never let it dry out. You can use pure sphagnum moss with or without perlite or peat with perlite and put it in a tray with water. The tray should have some water in it most of the time but never let the soil dry out completely.
By thepitchergrower
My plants have always done better not standing in water. I would suggest only standing them in water if you really have to (for example if you are going on a vacation). Ideally you want to keep the soil moist all the time without standing in water.
By bpetar1207
Okay people, thanks for all the help. I know that it isn't regular soil, and it's been ok so far. I've placed it on the other balcony, and for now it seems to be doing better there. I'll follow your advice and water it to keep it damp. If anything happens, I'll post here, but either way, thanks for the help guys.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!