FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Ragnarok
I went to a CP-fair last weekend and got my hands on an Aurora Borealis. The seller gave it to me for free because it seems in poor shape. When I got home I removed the dead leaves and some dirt around the plant to maximize the amount of sun reaching the plant.

Do you guys have more tips for me so I can give it the best possible care? I have access to a greenhouse so I thought putting it in since temperature is dropping in my country but not sure if I should right now. Image

Verstuurd vanaf mijn POT-LX1 met Tapatalk

By Panman
The way I would handle it would be to get the moisture of the soil at the level you want and bag the entire plant. Leave it in indirect light and see how it does. Since it really doesn't have any leaves, light is not critical at this point. It will use all of its energy for growing a leaf from the rhizome. It will also be rebuilding roots at this time using the same energy source. Once it gets leaves, give it more light so that it can photosynthesize but keep it bagged but give it some more light. As the roots get stronger you can remove it from the bag.
By Ragnarok
Panman wrote:The way I would handle it would be to get the moisture of the soil at the level you want and bag the entire plant. Leave it in indirect light and see how it does. Since it really doesn't have any leaves, light is not critical at this point. It will use all of its energy for growing a leaf from the rhizome. It will also be rebuilding roots at this time using the same energy source. Once it gets leaves, give it more light so that it can photosynthesize but keep it bagged but give it some more light. As the roots get stronger you can remove it from the bag.
I never bagged a plant before so I must ask: I do leave a small Crack for oxygenflow or not at all?

Could you also explain how this method gets bigger roots?

By Panman
When I bag a plant, I seal it for the first week or so at least. It doesn't build bigger roots but rather allows the plant to be less stressed with the roots that it has. The less roots means less ability to take up water. In a bagged (or domed) environment, the leaves and soil lose less moisture, allowing the plant to survive while new roots are being formed. I always open the bag every day or two in order to exchange the air. I have had really good luck doing this with damaged plants. Except those with rhizome rot which is an entirely different beast.
By Ragnarok
Panman wrote:When I bag a plant, I seal it for the first week or so at least. It doesn't build bigger roots but rather allows the plant to be less stressed with the roots that it has. The less roots means less ability to take up water. In a bagged (or domed) environment, the leaves and soil lose less moisture, allowing the plant to survive while new roots are being formed. I always open the bag every day or two in order to exchange the air. I have had really good luck doing this with damaged plants. Except those with rhizome rot which is an entirely different beast.
I could give it a go because I have not seen a single trace of mold or rot.

Do you think it could also help putting it in the greenhouse in its bag?

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!