FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
Good morning friends.
To all of you that were lucky enough to score some of Shadowtski's D. capensis "Redrum" seeds, I just wanted to show you the potential.
First pic, the mother plant.
Mystery Red 001.JPG.jpg
Mystery Red 001.JPG.jpg (5.09 MiB) Viewed 3147 times
Now, I say potential, because, even though the seeds are selfed, there could be an assortment of genes expressed. You could get Albino, Big Pink, or typical, but hopefully the dots get connected on a few and you get this insane red.
This pic is a juvenile division Shadowtski sent me (he also sent a leaf cutting). I had it on a windowsill until it recovered from shipping shock. You can see, even in a bright window, that the leaves are a pale, lime green. Pic taken a couple weeks ago.
20210813_175332.jpg
20210813_175332.jpg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 3147 times
After recovery, and after the temps here settled a bit, down into the 80's, I put it outside to get unfiltered sunlight. I put it out on Sunday, five days ago, and look at the change. Even the strike from the cutting is responding to the unfiltered light.
20210910_103515.jpg
20210910_103515.jpg (4.76 MiB) Viewed 3147 times
This is showing some great potential to possibly get as red as the mother plant. Hopefully some of the seeds also show this insanely deep red.
Shadowtski, thank you very much for your generosity in sharing this spectacular plant. Fingers crossed that it will manifest from the seeds.

P.S. This also shows something that many of us advocate. For many species, although they can survive on a windowsill, direct, unfiltered sunlight is much better for the plant, and you get much prettier plants.
elaineo liked this
By Shadowtski
The motherplant is looking strange lately.
Conditions have not changed, it's still in my basement under a homemade LED light fixture.
Maybe it's getting ready for a bad Winter.
The new leaves are very small compared to previous growth.
The growing point is trying to grow a hibernaculum or is going crestate, hard to tell.
Here are a few pictures from today.
At least, it's maintaining color.
I have a second flower scape that's almost ready to harvest so more seeds will be appearing in the seed bank soon. (I hope)
Redrum 001.JPG
Redrum 001.JPG (4.55 MiB) Viewed 3135 times
Redrum 002.JPG
Redrum 002.JPG (4.79 MiB) Viewed 3135 times
Redrum 003.JPG
Redrum 003.JPG (3.96 MiB) Viewed 3135 times
By Panman
I had some really red capes going in full sun this summer. Then we had a particularly hot week and they all but died back. I moved them to the shade and they are starting to come back but not as red as before. I'm going to move them back to their original spot and see how they do.
Shadowtski liked this
By Nocturne
Damn these red capes just stole my soul..definitely looking forward for next bloom
By Cross
I want a redrum. I shall name him the jack

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Panman, Shadowtski liked this

@InTheSwamp I have heard that idiom, and I definit[…]

Lyra request U. calcyfida Bonus N. + finlaysoniana[…]

1 year old cape!

I would really be interested in getting some see[…]

Lee’s Botanical Gardens has some drosera for[…]

Better-Gro LFSM

I show Lowes carrying both, although I had not s[…]

Rosemary Oil Miticide

The Rasta Bob's link doesn't work. I may have to […]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!