FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By FreshWhips462
Jamesanthony, from Chicago, IL. My first Venus Flytrap is coming tomorrow. I can't wait to see him/her. I need advice, free stuff, anything to help make it through at least 2 flowerings. :D
By ChefDean
Welcome.
Plenty of advice here, most of it you can find by exploring. If you have specific questions, you can ask them in the relevant forum and will likely receive some good answers.
Free stuff is also around, but you have to look for that. Seed bank for seeds here, once a month based on time and activity, check it out. Seeds are free, you just pay postage both ways by sending a SASE. Many people host giveaways, usually seeds, sometimes plants. Sometimes you pay shipping, sometimes they do, read each giveaway description first to find out which.
By Panman
Welcome to the forum. May sure you go to FlytrapCare.com and read the care guide for flytraps. It covers all of the basics you need. It boils down to 4 things:
1. Proper water - distilled, RO, or rainwater only. Tap water if you are able to have it tested and it is less than 50ppm dissolved solids.
2. Proper soil - Long fibered sphagnum moss (LFSM) or 50/50 peat moss/perlite. There are other options but the critical part is that it must be nutrient poor with no fertilizer. Any sort of soil fertilizer will kill a flytrap.[/list]
3. Proper light - Flytraps need a minimum of 6 hours of unfiltered sunlight a day. That means no windows, screens, etc. It is possible to grow them with plant lights but that is more complicated. They really do their best if they can be grown outside[/list]

Good luck!

[Edit] I see from your grow list that you may already be experienced with grow lights. :D
MaxVft liked this
By MaxVft
Welcome to the forums!

I agree with both @Panman and @Dean, you can get all kinds of free stuff from the seed bank.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!