FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

I bought a B52 from Savage Gardeners on Etsy, and it just arrived today. Plant looked like it was in decent shape after shipping, but there's this black looking area around the rhizome on one part of the plant. Should I dig up the plant and amputate it off, or do I just leave it alone?

Kind of looks like the same blackish blob I had on my very first VFT that I cut off.

By Nikson
Yeah that's what it looks like to me, I'm just not sure if it's something I should cut off so it doesn't rot or affect the rest of the plant?
By CPhunter101
Nikson wrote:Yeah that's what it looks like to me, I'm just not sure if it's something I should cut off so it doesn't rot or affect the rest of the plant?
That may or may not work. If you cut it off, you could lose the flytrap to root damage, but if you leave it, your flytrap could succumb to rot.
If I were in your situation, I would risk cutting it off before it spreads the rot.
Reducing water may also help your CP recover if there is rot.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
CPhunter101 wrote:
Nikson wrote:Yeah that's what it looks like to me, I'm just not sure if it's something I should cut off so it doesn't rot or affect the rest of the plant?
That may or may not work. If you cut it off, you could lose the flytrap to root damage, but if you leave it, your flytrap could succumb to rot.
If I were in your situation, I would risk cutting it off before it spreads the rot.
Reducing water may also help your CP recover if there is rot.
Does it look like there's rot there, in your opinion? Or is it just some blob where some leaves died off originally?

Just got it in the mail yesterday, so I haven't been able to do anything with it yet in regards to watering. It did spend like 5 days in the mail.
By albertoburrito
It looks like it is fine. I like to use makeup/mustache scissors and slowly trim it off little by little. Leaving a little on is fine.
Nikson liked this

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!