FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post your experience here, good or bad, to help others in future transactions

Moderator: Matt

By Nocturne
He sells quite a variety of seeds indeed, but i’ve seen them on ebay for months as well now and that doesn’t spell good for the germination rate on nepenthes, has anyone had good experience with this seller or his nepenthes seeds?
By Nepenthes0260
Personally, I don't think that's a legit seller. To my knowledge pure N. attenboroughii seed has never been horticulturally produced, which means the seed is either poached or mislabeled.
By Nocturne
Nepenthes0260 wrote:Personally, I don't think that's a legit seller. To my knowledge pure N. attenboroughii seed has never been horticulturally produced, which means the seed is either poached or mislabeled.
Huh honestly i didn’t know that, any insight as to why no pure atten seeds were ever horticulturally produced? This also makes nurseries such as predatory plants and jeremiah labeling their Attenbouroughii as seed grown more peculiar…
By Nepenthes0260
@Nocturne I believe it's just because the species hasn't been in cultivation for that long, and HL neps (especially monsters like atten) can take years to mature. Jeremiah visited the mountain(s) where N. attenboroughii grows, which is where I'm guessing his seed came from. No clue about PredPlant's SG attens, but my guess is wild seed too. I know Wistuba and BE have it in tissue culture so it may just be a mislabeled TC clone. Thinking about it, I believe I saw a post from Jeff Shafer last year where he bloomed one of his attens and recorded that the flowers smelled unpleasant. Hopefully he was able to make pure seed, but it still wound't give it enough time for Jeremiah or PredPlant to grow them up and sell them, and I highly doubt that EB seller would be selling his seed :lol:.
By nimbulan
All of the seed-grown attenboroughii sold are from the original collection of seeds after the discovery of each population. It's not a fast-growing species and the first one was flowered in cultivation just last year.

In any case this seller is offering seeds in suspiciously small quantities and looks like a typical poached seed seller. It seems unlikely they're actually based in the US as well.
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By Nocturne
Thanks for the insights guys, I didn’t know its THAT slow of a grower as i would’ve imagined some seeds were produced in the last decade. It would be logical to doubt the source and legitimacy of this EB seller indeed.
Nepenthes0260 liked this

Sounds like it should be about the same thing. M[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE sent on Thursday, sorry I completely spaced i[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1676. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!