FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By mangopepsisucks
New member from virginia. I have tried growing vft many times with no luck. 1st time I fed them after midnight and the 2nd time I tried starting outside in trays from seed. again no luck. I hope with this forum's help I might have some luck. I will be growing inside under a led light in a dedicated room this time. In it to win it this time.
By Supercazzola
Welcome. My experience is that VFT do best outside in full sun. Could one grow inside under a grow light? Perhaps… but there are plenty of folks on this forum who live in your state who successfully grow outdoors in VA.
By mangopepsisucks
They will be companion plants/ fungus knat annihilators for other plants in the room.
By MikeB
Welcome to the forum!

What part of Virginia are you in? If it's the southeastern area, you should be able to grow many temperate species (including Venus flytraps) outdoors.
Virginia - plant hardiness zones.jpg
Virginia - plant hardiness zones.jpg (88.58 KiB) Viewed 3526 times
By Supercazzola
mangopepsisucks wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:02 am They will be companion plants/ fungus knat annihilators for other plants in the room.
You may find a sundew or even ping would be better suited for an indoor plant to do that. I wouldn’t recommend VFT for that.
By Rammplins
Supercazzola wrote:
mangopepsisucks wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:02 am They will be companion plants/ fungus knat annihilators for other plants in the room.
You may find a sundew or even ping would be better suited for an indoor plant to do that. I wouldn’t recommend VFT for that.
Agreed, fungus gnats aren't really large enough to trigger VFT traps reliably (or at all for larger plants). Drosera(sundews) on the other had excel at trapping those tiny bastards, and most varieties are fine with growing indoors. "Drosera Adelae" stands out for your purpose as they dont have very high light requirements.

And welcome to the fourm!
Panman liked this
By mangopepsisucks
How hard are the sundew seeds to germinate and do they require the same type of soil as a vft. I already have a bunch of coco coir.
By Rammplins
Sundew seeds are super easy to germinate, there are literally hundreds of seeds per flower stalk. Even if your germination rate is as low as 1 in 10 you still get a ton of plants popping up. If you wanna grow from seed I totally get it, but if not you can go to the" sales trades and wants" section of this forum and ask for Drosera Adelae. Someone will get back to you, those things are like weeds.

There are a TON of different sundew species, but 95% of them have the same soil requirements as VFT's. Be aware If your using coco coir be sure to soak and rinse it thoroughly about 5-10 times, most times there is a bunch of salt in there that will harm/kill any carnivorous plant you try to grow in it. You may want to add some perlite in the mix as well to help with aeration.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!