FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
So, here is an update on my tank after a few months of playing around.
A variety of African Cichlids.
A few was South American Cichlids. (I know it's suggested against mixing them, but I've never had a problem with them getting along)
Four Plecos. (two of which are already breeding)
Four Corydoras.
Four Kuhli Loaches.
Three Zebra Loaches.
Two Mystery Snails.
One Electric Blue Jack Dempsey.
One Rainbow Shark.
One Upside-Down Catfish.
One Glo-Tetra.
20210507_151651.jpg
20210507_151651.jpg (4.6 MiB) Viewed 1930 times
Matt, Supercazzola liked this
By optique
I miss my "red belly pacu" he would follow me around the room hoping i would feed him a slice of tomato. He started out about 2.5 inches long and i had to give him back to the pet store when he out grew my 75g tank. I had to do large water changes he would lay calmly side ways in the shallow water as i vacuumed the rocks.
Matt liked this
By ChefDean
My wife was looking at the larger fish as we had an Oscar tank; red, albinos, and Tigers, but I had to remind her that we would be limited to three or four Oscar's or the equivalent. So we compromised on average Cichlids and an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey. We may have to lessen the biomass later to accommodate the JD, but they generally stay smaller than regular Dempsey's
By ChefDean
Panman wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:50 pm Nice. I miss my tank. I don't miss the upkeep, though.
Yes, the upkeep it a beast. My biomass is probably pretty good for the level of filtration I have right now, however, I'm working with a filter manufacturer to dial in a new filter they have on the market, but may be marketed wrong.
They have a 300 gph, in tank canister filter that they market as a primary all around filtration unit (mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration) but it's not performing to advertised specs; lots of one star reviews. They have sent me a years worth of supplies, and I'm testing different combinations.
So far, and they're not happy about this, I've found their filter is great for mechanical and biological, but the carbon for the chemical filtration clogs it up and requires weekly maintenance (if not more) to keep it going, it doesn't even come close to the monthly maintenance they market. The filter works great otherwise.
I keep up on the weekly water changes, but it's still a lot of maintenance beyond that. But, hey, free supplies!
By Lain
Aww. Very cute selection of fishies! I miss having fish. Used to always have a salt water reef tank and fresh water tank. Now I settled for something in the middle and super simple low maintenace brackish shrimp. I feed them once a month and never have to do water maintenance besides topping off distilled water. Just wish I could get my hubby interested in the hobby so that I could expand my tanks. He thinks brackish shrimp are too much maintenace. :lol:
By sundewd
I've got 2 freshwater tanks, a 10 and a 55 gallon. I was thinking about doing shrimp breeding a few years ago before I decided to get more into carnivorous plants instead because keeping tons of tanks is a lot of work, and I get sad when any of the animals die, even the shrimp if they are special ones, or if regular ones die too soon. I only have really small fish, in a 55 gallon because I want to give them lots of space and also to not have anything going after the shrimp. Started with 3 types of rasboras and but the kubotais died out of a disease despite receiving medicine a few times.. and a lace plant also killed a bunch of fish before I figured it out. When things finally stabilized after all that I was left with zero kubotais, one chili rasbora, so no breeding for them sadly, however the 5 or so remaining emerald dwarf rasboras are breeding and their population is going up, around 10 now, so that's pretty great.
vid of emerald dwarf rasboras https://youtu.be/2A_zq2S7Vt4

I like your tank but I think you should get some more plants in there :D I saw someone on facebook in the group "USA Freshwater Shrimp and Plants" selling a huge list of plants and most were only $6
By ChefDean
We've been doing plants, and actually have quite a few in there. The problem is a couple of my Auratus Cichlids like to dig because they're in the mood for love, and dig up the plants. Then, as they're being pushed around, the other fish nip at them. I've tried to give the Auratus' a love grotto, and it's working to a point, but it's still a problem.
Also, I have gravel, which most plants don't like. However, I'm probably going to set up a shrimp tank myself, so I'll change half of the big tank over to sand.
Work in progress.
sundewd liked this

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!