FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By murrkywaters
I suppose the good thing is my seedling pots fit 32 in a 1020 how dense is too dense for sarracenia seedling spacing. Assuming the pots are ≈2.7 inch square pots if I do 5 per pot I should only need 50 pots for those sarracenia seeds, which is really only 2 1020s and I'm not planning on doing every cross at once. Probably 2~4 to start with. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Panman liked this
By ChefDean
We don't need a support group, I'm fine!
What?
No him.
I don't have a problem.
No more plants!? That's a problem.
Does anyone else hear that?
The melodic siren song of a plant calling my name.
We're good here.
By murrkywaters
I mean, I just *had* to get the S. leucophylla 'burgundy', and if some VFT seeds jumped in my cart then, that's that!

By Panman
I started with 15-18 in a 2 inch pot but they really needed a repot after 6 months. I would think that 5 per pot would give them enough room for a year. I have replanted 4 each into 4 inch pots. I plan on them staying there for at least a year if not more.
seed.jpg
seed.jpg (347.82 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
By Panman
Honestly, I had never germinated fresh sarr seeds before so I had no idea what to expect. I thought, surely I'll get 5 or 6 out of 15. No, I got 14 out of 15. And I've got other pots that are itching for some elbow room.
By murrkywaters
The seedlings that came in from @Drummer230 were pretty much on top of eachother. I did separate them and I'm in the process of bag acclimation, which looks like it's going well. I'm seeing new growth. I was also kinda wondering when is too early to start feeding them? I have some 300 ppm foliar spray I think they'll like and I read on the ICPS website that as long as they're separated out from the other plants they can do well with osmocote in the soil. I tend to air on the side of caution.

By Drummer230
murrkywaters wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:34 pm The seedlings that came in from @Drummer230 were pretty much on top of eachother. I did separate them and I'm in the process of bag acclimation, which looks like it's going well. I'm seeing new growth. I was also kinda wondering when is too early to start feeding them? I have some 300 ppm foliar spray I think they'll like and I read on the ICPS website that as long as they're separated out from the other plants they can do well with osmocote in the soil. I tend to air on the side of caution.

These seedlings were grown in open air, so probably no need to bag acclimate, but do what makes you feel most comfortable. Also, I feed them as soon as I can fit a needle in the tube. If you can find fabric glue dispensers, you can get needles and syringes without going to a medical place and dealing with the hassle. I also water with maxsea once per week. I have two year old "seedlings" in flower right now. :D
By Panman
I got syringes at the hobby store in the jewelry department. You can also get them at Tractor Supply. I like the ones from the craft store because the needles aren't sharp.
Drummer230 liked this
By murrkywaters
I'm growing in a tent indoors so I figured it would be best to help mitigate shock after separating the seedlings out and planting them with some space for the roots to expand. Better safe than sorry. What concentration maxsea? I've been playing around with "overfeeding" some of my sarrs like my love bug by stuffing the year old pitchers with osmocote. The results have been impressive. Note, I'm like 3 months behind on my dormancy cycle because of the way I regulate temp and lighting in the bedroom bog. These pitchers are 4 weeks old.Image

By Drummer230
murrkywaters wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:02 am I'm growing in a tent indoors so I figured it would be best to help mitigate shock after separating the seedlings out and planting them with some space for the roots to expand. Better safe than sorry. What concentration maxsea? I've been playing around with "overfeeding" some of my sarrs like my love bug by stuffing the year old pitchers with osmocote. The results have been impressive. Note, I'm like 3 months behind on my dormancy cycle because of the way I regulate temp and lighting in the bedroom bog. These pitchers are 4 weeks old.Image

I use one teaspoon per gallon.
By murrkywaters
Planted up 20 Darlingtonia seeds, 10 to a pot. They're in 50/50 sterile sphagnum and perlite. They're bagged and in the fridge for 4 weeks of stratification.

Drummer230 liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!