FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By ATrain13
Soooo... my eldest VFT (a year old to me) did NOT go into dormancy this winter. It lives inside, and in a south facing window in Washington DC. That said, it's springtime and my other VFT is taking off while the older one has stopped closing traps and the new growth isn't getting bigger. Should I put it in my dark downstairs bathroom for a month to reset, or do folks have other suggestions?
20210429_093217.jpg
20210429_093217.jpg (5.54 MiB) Viewed 815 times
By ChefDean
Flytraps aren't houseplants. They cannot get enough light for long term health on even the sunniest windowsill. They can sometimes get enough to survive without artificial lighting, but not enough to live more than a couple of years.
They use sunlight to photosynthesize, and put much of that energy produced into carbohydrates that they store as starch in the rhizome for the next Springs new growth after dormancy. However, glass filters sunlight, and most modern glass has coatings or additives that further filter it. On a windowsill, they get enough light to photosynthesize, but only enough to produce more leaves to try to capture more light. They can divert almost no energy to fattening up the rhizome, so the plant slowly declines and passes.
If your temperatures are staying above freezing, put it outside in an area that gets direct morning sunlight and shade from about 10 on. You can slowly move it out into more sunlight as time goes on, but, even when it is sitting in the shade, it gets better light than on a windowsill.
If it happens to put up a flower stalk, cut it before it gets more than a couple of inches long. Those take too much energy to produce, and your stressed plant can't afford to divert that energy right now.
tommyr, ATrain13 liked this

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!