FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By albertoburrito
The humidity is single digits for many days. What should I do?
By ChefDean
I grew them in Utah, there's not a lot you can do if you intend to grow them outside in Arizona.
Some don't need the higher humidity to do well, it's just a byproduct of their natural environment. Others, depending of how much surface area they have (think Sarrs) can suffer when humidity gets low due to transpiration. They simply lose water from the leaves faster than the roots can replace it. If it gets too low, any carnivorous plant will suffer, they simply aren't adapted to the environment like the native plants in the desert southwest.
You could try to surround them with water, such as creating a platform that the pots could sit in inside of a kiddie pool. You could fill the pool with the hose, but the trays the pots sit in with distilled water. This could create a very localized area of higher humidity, but when it's August in Arizona, that will be about as worthwhile as a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin' it on.
Your best bet would likely get a small greenhouse to contain the humidity, but with a cooling system that would not let the temps get anywhere near the 9,628 degrees that you'll see.
By Secretariat73
My VFTs routinely experience single digit humidity and temps that can exceed 115F every summer. The plants can tolerate those conditions surprisingly well. I provide mine morning sun/afternoon shade, and I make sure their water trays contain ample water to ensure the plants stay hydrated. I have discovered that VFTs will not tolerate hot water in their trays. They start to decline when water tray temps reach the high 90s/low 100s... that is why afternoon shade is essential in my growing conditions. In high heat, even my red flytraps will start to turn a little green, but they do fine otherwise and will revert to their red color when it cools down.

My sarrs, filiformis, and dichotoma seem unfazed by the heat and lack of humidity. They only require ample water.
Matt, vflytrap87 liked this

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!