FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By EllenS
Hello. My first VFT doubled while in dormancy. I packed it up in sphagnum, peat and perlite and it survived well from December to Mid March when I unpacked it. I repotted it as two plants and after some adjustment where some stalks blackened and died it's green and vivid and the traps are open. But they don't stand upright, they're drooping over and I can't figure out why or what to do. I've attached snapshots.
20210417_085715.jpg
20210417_085715.jpg (3.52 MiB) Viewed 485 times
20210417_085521.jpg
20210417_085521.jpg (8.69 MiB) Viewed 485 times
Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Ellen in Maine
By Panman
What kind of conditions do you have them growing in? They look like they need more light. Also the moss seems kind of dry but if it is only a top dressing, that isn't a problem.
By EllenS
They are on the same windowsill as they were before they were packed up, a sunny southwest facing kitchen window where they happily chowed fruitflies all summer and fall. It's still a little raw to put them outside, I think, we have a fairly late spring here in Maine. (It snowed yesterday). Maybe I should get them a gro-light.

Thank you ever so much for your reply, Panman.
Ellen
By ChefDean
EllenS wrote:They are on the same windowsill as they were before they were packed up, a sunny southwest facing kitchen window where they happily chowed fruitflies all summer and fall. It's still a little raw to put them outside, I think, we have a fairly late spring here in Maine. (It snowed yesterday).
A grow light would help, but these plants do much better outside. Glass filters sunlight, so a sunny windowsill is actually less beneficial than a cloudy day.
As long as the temps stay above freezing, leave it outside.
Matt liked this

can you link the seller of the seeds. I think most[…]

Drosera regia flowering soon!

@Shadowtski , OH the seed bank is now open to a[…]

Little green purpurea

Xanthoparmelia did a purp giveaway a few years ag[…]

It happened quickly, they were staying rather pale[…]

It is grown outside in a 7x7x9 pot and grown in a […]

Pitcher style water filters

As optique said, ZeroWater is the only brand that […]

Vft help

Davao summers are much cooler then summers where f[…]

Panman's Grow List

trading is the best way, I wish I could find more […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!