FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Greg 101
I allowed my less than 1 year old flytrap to flower, before finding out that was not such a good idea. I cut the stem off as low as I could safely do so. I expected a period of dormancy followed by new growth. But instead of new leaves/traps growing in, I see two new vft's sprouting from the around the dead stem. Its growing so much slower than before. Does this mean the leaves from the older vft will die and I'll have two new plants? Or will the older plant also start making new leaves/traps eventually? Would it be ok to have all 3 growing in such a small pot?
Also, when would be a good time to replant it into a bigger pot?

please advise
By Matt
Greg 101 wrote:Does this mean the leaves from the older vft will die and I'll have two new plants?
Yep! That often happens after allowing a flytrap to flower, particularly if they're not very large and healthy.
Greg 101 wrote:Would it be ok to have all 3 growing in such a small pot?
Yes, but I'd recommend uprooting them after you believe they are established and repotting them with some separation so they're not competing with each other for sun, water, and other resources.
Greg 101 wrote:Also, when would be a good time to replant it into a bigger pot?
Once you know that they're growing well again, you can repot at any time. Or, if they don't seem to be growing well at all and they haven't been repotted in over a year, do it ASAP.
Greg 101 liked this
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!