FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Mikegiuliano07
I went to Lowes 2 days ago and bought 2 different VFT. I bought a 6 in pot and put both of them in it. The soil is 50/50 Pete moss and perlite. I damped it to mix and then poked 2 holes to put each in. I leave them outside during the day and inside during the night. I was just wondering after 2 days of having them, do they look healthy? I have distilled water and want to water them about every other 5 days.
Attachments:
IMG-6784.jpg
IMG-6784.jpg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 2521 times
IMG-6783.jpg
IMG-6783.jpg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 2521 times
By Panman
It is hard to tell after just two days. I will say that it looks like they are planted too deeply. The white part of the rhizome should be the only part that is below the surface. Also, I want to be sure that you didn't use Miracle-Gro brand. That contains fertilizer and will kill the plants.
Benny, Supercazzola, Matt liked this
By Benny
Mikegiuliano07 wrote:Didn't use miracle brand but should I go ahead and lift them little so they aren't so deep?
Yes. The new growth shouldn't have to push its way out. As Panman said, the white rhizome should be just a little under the soil.

How cold does it get at night? Flytraps can handle a little under freezing, as long as they don't freeze into a solid block.

Other than that, it looks okay. It isn't exactly healthy, but it isn't unhealthy. A couple months of good care and it should perk up nicely.

Good luck!
Supercazzola liked this
By steve booth
Hi
it isn't a good idea to move them from inside to outside frequently, they need to have a cool dormancy period and acclimate to their growing conditions. How hot is it in your house or how cold outside?
Also, it looks like it's in a terracotta pot, these can leach minerals into the soil which isn't good for the plant, plastic is better if you have one.
Cheers
Seve
Benny liked this
By Mikegiuliano07
Panman wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:12 pm I missed the terracotta pot. Regardless of what else you do, that will ultimately kill it.
Can I put it in a plastic pot now? Also should I just leave it outside 24/7. It gets to the 20s at night
By Mikegiuliano07
Benny wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:31 am
Mikegiuliano07 wrote:Didn't use miracle brand but should I go ahead and lift them little so they aren't so deep?
Yes. The new growth shouldn't have to push its way out. As Panman said, the white rhizome should be just a little under the soil.

How cold does it get at night? Flytraps can handle a little under freezing, as long as they don't freeze into a solid block.

Other than that, it looks okay. It isn't exactly healthy, but it isn't unhealthy. A couple months of good care and it should perk up nicely.

Good luck!
It gets to the low 20s but I guess I'll leave it outside perm and check on the soil and use distilled water if it dries up. I'll change it to a plastic pot too.
By ChefDean
Look for another place to keep it for the winter, perhaps an unheated garage that stays cool to cold, but doesn't cycle through the freeze/thaw. That will kill it just as quickly.
In the wild, the roots are insulated by the soil and groundwater, so they don't freeze/thaw. In a pot, outside, it will freeze at night, thaw during the day, freeze again, and so on. It'll be dead in a week.
Once it warms back up and stays above freezing, put it outside to where it gets good, direct morning sunlight until about 11 or 12, then indirect, shade, or dappled light the rest of the day. You'll have a great looking plant next summer.
They're easy plants to take care of, they just require a few more steps than a normal plant.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!