FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
Can a Utric be propagated by cuttings?
I had noticed over the last couple of days that my Sandersonii flower stalks were falling down, I figured it was their time. But upon closer examination, it seems they had been cut at the base. Looking all over in the pot, I found pieces of the scapes and some leaves separated from the stolon.
Digging deeper, I found a tiny caterpillar. I had missed it earlier because it's so small and the exact color of the live Sphagnum.
I removed the freeloader and vindictively introduced it to my disposal. It was gratifying.
I still have most of the plant intact, but will the pieces perhaps strike off on their own?
Just curious. I have plenty of plant, it'll recover, but I'll miss the flowers.
By twitcher
It should recover from the underground portions of the plant. Utrics don't have roots. What is underground are stems. The pieces may also grow for you if given the right conditions.
By DragonsEye
My understanding is that neither a leaf nor the scape will strike. What you require, as Twitcher mentioned is a piece of the underground stem (aka stolon).
By ChefDean
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:24 am So you just threw the caterpillar out? Or was there some other mode of execution? If a bug annoys me I like giving it a proper execution by condemning it to the Venus flytrap.
I put it down my 2 stage, 5/8ths HP garbage disposal. It only chopped up into minuscule pieces before being washed into the sewer.

That being said, my daughter just had a kniption fit about a spider in her powder room.
Not cool dude!
Fin!
By twitcher
Some utricularia do strike from surface leaves. Had that happen with my calycifidia. Spead the cuttings across the surface of some lfsm nd cover with plastic wrap. You may be surprised.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!